How to automatically export matching songs as ITunes xml for reading in Traktor

kdejaeger

29 Sep, 2016 08:57 AM

I'd like to use the list of matching songs on the fly in traktor so I can preview and load them instantly without the need for exporting to a playlist and importing it in traktor obviously.

I guess the only way to do this would be to export the list of matching songs to an itunes xml file. Then in traktor, we just have to refresh the itunes library (with a midi button) and we're done.

Would it be possible to export the current list of matching songs after the list is created? Is this possible with a beatlet to fetch the list of songs created by the 'matching songs' view?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 29 Sep, 2016 09:17 AM

When using an iTunes-based collection in beaTunes, all beaTunes playlists are instantly reflected in iTunes. If Traktor is capable of quickly reflecting changes in iTunes, that's probably your best solution. I.e. select all matching songs, and then choose New PlayList from Selection in beaTunes (context menu).

More about different kinds of libraries can be found here.

2. 2 Posted by kdejaeger on 29 Sep, 2016 09:31 AM

Yes indeed, it seems itunes based library is already fully synchronisable. Off course, during a DJ set, you're now gonna right mouse click on all matching song, created a playlist, etc ... . That takes too much time. The matching songs view should be a dynamic playlist on it's own.

Now unfortunately, I'm using a folder based library. Which means my initial questions still have to be answered :).

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 29 Sep, 2016 11:15 AM

That takes too much time. The matching songs view should be a dynamic playlist on it's own.

What about simply dragging from the matching song list to Traktor? Would that perhaps do the trick for you?

4. 4 Posted by kdejaeger on 01 Oct, 2016 07:34 PM

Yea. That's possible. I tried it out a bit.
    I binded a midi button to clear the playlist in traktor. Then drag and drop
    the songs in traktor. It's a bit getting used to with the touchpad.

What would be nice too in this workflow would be a shortcut for "Right
    mouse click -> show in playlist -> Music. Touchpad stuff is annoying while
    djing :).

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by hendrik on 03 Oct, 2016 02:13 PM

What would be nice too in this workflow would be a shortcut for "Right mouse click -> show in playlist -> Music. Touchpad stuff is annoying while
    djing :).

Just so that I understand this better: What would you need that for?

Thanks!

6. 6 Posted by kdejaeger on 03 Oct, 2016 03:40 PM

Well, when I transferred the matching songs to the traktor playlist, I
    choose one to play, right. The next song I'll choose, will be compatible
    with the one I chose to play. So this shortcut will select it in the top
    library pane and I get a fresh list of compatible songs. And I do this over
    and over again. You understand?

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by hendrik on 03 Oct, 2016 03:54 PM

You understand?

Yes.

There is actually is similar workflow within beaTunes that may be useful for you:

1. Find some song in your library.
    2. Select it and create a new playlist with it (so that you have a playlist with just that song)
    3. Select the song in that new playlist.
    4. Select one of the matching songs in the matching songs table and use the shortcut ALT-Enter (or the button with ↑+)
    5. beaTunes will automatically select the newly added song, so that you are shown matching songs in the matching songs table. -> Go to step 4.

Once you have your full list, drag it over to Traktor.

Would that work for you?

-hendrik

8. 8 Posted by kdejaeger on 09 Oct, 2016 02:08 PM

Ok that works indeed. But you still don't understand 1 thing :). I'm dragging and dropping the whole list of matching songs every time after ALT-Enter and using that list to find a good match in traktor. Finding a compatible song must happen in traktor for me, that would never work in beatunes unless I could play 2 tracks at the same bpm off course for a proper comparison.

But yeah, the ALT-ENTER seems to be a nice workflow. And when I'm done, I have all the tracks I played in a playlist.

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by hendrik on 10 Oct, 2016 04:14 PM

using that list to find a good match in traktor.

...because you need to listen to the songs in detail (the possible transition)?

10. 10 Posted by kdejaeger on 10 Oct, 2016 05:36 PM

Yes indeed. In traktor I have my current song running, BPM synced, possible loops set. So it's much better and faster to put the new song against the currently playing one and to take the decision there.

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by hendrik on 10 Oct, 2016 06:02 PM

Back to your original request:

I'd like to use the list of matching songs on the fly in traktor so I can preview and load them instantly without the need for exporting to a playlist and importing it in traktor obviously.

Is Traktor capable of instantly showing playlists from other programs? My guess would be it's not. I'm not sure how beaTunes could accomplish this for Traktor.

12. 12 Posted by kdejaeger on 10 Oct, 2016 06:50 PM

Well, yes Traktor has the capability to load an iTunes XML file and refresh it on demand. So my idea was that somehow Beatunes would write an itunes XML file with the matching songs that then can be consumed by Traktor.

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by hendrik on 12 Oct, 2016 06:57 AM

A while back you wrote:

I'm using a folder based library. Which means my initial questions still have to be answered :).

I was wondering why? I guess you're not using iTunes?

Anyhow. There is a mechanism in beaTunes that may help. In the general preferences, there is an option to automatically export playlists. I usually strongly recommend to leave this option off, as it has a huge performance impact and especially for large collections does more harm than good. When enabled, beaTunes exports all playlists whenever they are changed in the chosen format (Traktor support m3u). The playlists are written to the beaTunes subfolder of your system's Music folder.

If Traktor can import/refresh such playlists quickly, perhaps that's your solution.

14. 14 Posted by kdejaeger on 12 Oct, 2016 10:49 AM

No I'm using a folder based approach. But that was already said in this thread.
    No, traktor cannot refresh m3u playlists. It can only import them.

15. Support Staff 15 Posted by hendrik on 12 Oct, 2016 10:56 AM

No I'm using a folder based approach. But that was already said in this thread.

I understand.
    The question was why?

16. 16 Posted by kdejaeger on 12 Oct, 2016 11:01 AM

I don't use iTunes indeed.

17. Support Staff 17 Posted by hendrik on 12 Oct, 2016 11:12 AM

I don't use iTunes indeed.

Alright.

That support for automatically exporting playlists, it can be customized to any format, even some format similar to the iTunes XML format, via a plugin (see https://www.beatunes.com/en/beatlet-playlistexporter.html).

Any chance you know how to program? ;-)

-hendrik

18. 18 Posted by kdejaeger on 12 Oct, 2016 06:46 PM

Seems easy.

But how do I get the list of songs that are matching the currently selected song in the playlist? Is there a utility class for that? It's the matching songs I need in traktor, not the songs in the playlist itself.

19. Support Staff 19 Posted by hendrik on 12 Oct, 2016 08:52 PM

But how do I get the list of songs that are matching the currently selected song in the playlist?

What if you simply created a matchlist based on the selected song? It can use the same ruleset as the one used in that matching song table.

20. 20 Posted by kdejaeger on 12 Oct, 2016 09:14 PM

I see ... . That creates a new playlist and thus a new iTunes xml file of that playlist's name. So that won't work either since you don't want to change the iTunes file path in traktor while dj-ing.

21. 21 Posted by kdejaeger on 12 Oct, 2016 09:16 PM

So, there's no way to get to that list of matching songs from a playlist exporter?

22. Support Staff 22 Posted by hendrik on 13 Oct, 2016 07:56 AM

So, there's no way to get to that list of matching songs from a playlist exporter?

Nothing that's already built-in.

23. 23 Posted by kdejaeger on 13 Oct, 2016 09:03 AM

Well, then maybe you could check if you can do this: add an extra checkbox in the settings menu 'Also export matching songs to playlist' that comes available when 'automatically export playlists' is selected. Hopefully you can access the playlistexporter from the matchlist** classes then. Off course you're the boss ;), if this doesn't make sense, I understand it.

24. 24 Posted by kdejaeger on 03 Jul, 2018 07:01 AM

I'd like to update this issue, just to say it would still be handy to have either a direct option to export the 'matching songs' list to a (new) itunes format. Or to expose at least the matching songs so we could add this itunesexporter as a beatlet. This would save me from dragging and dropping files between beatunes and traktor and having to clear the playlist in traktor every time.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac