Replacing accents, & and ñ characters

scottiale.s

28 Jan, 2016 04:53 AM

Hi, I made a large iTunes reorganization and migration of files etc etc and lots of my titles and album names had ñ, & and accents and because iTunes automatically copies and organizes my files in folders this caused losing some tags (due to some weird path issue I guess) such as Grouping (which I use for smart playlists). When I Get Info on those files iTunes SOMETIMES suddenly gets those tags back. This only happens with ñ and accents (maybe & also).

Does beaTunes have the option to automaticall replace all my accents with non-accents and ñ? I have 70,000 songs :-)

Thank you!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 28 Jan, 2016 10:52 AM

because iTunes automatically copies and organizes my files in folders this caused losing some tags

When iTunes re-organizes your files, it only changes the file names, not the tags.

Does beaTunes have the option to automaticall replace all my accents with non-accents and ñ? I have 70,000 songs :-)

No. It does not.
    Why would you want to have wrong names in your tags?

2. 2 Posted by scottiale.s on 28 Jan, 2016 01:48 PM

iTunes is not changing my tags, there is some issue with the file path when
    moving to another directory on a Mac. Right now I'm manually removing ñ on
    the artists and albums and the issue is getting resolved automatically.

Alejandro.

3. 3 Posted by scottiale.s on 29 Jan, 2016 10:24 PM

Thinking about this further... I'm sure this issue comes from using Dropbox to keep two exact copies of my iTunes on two different computers, one a Mac and another a Windows 7. Everything is working nice and sweet but I think Dropbox wacks the path strings when there is an accent and ñ.
    This issue started when I moved everything into Dropbox share folder.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by hendrik on 30 Jan, 2016 11:04 AM

Hm. It's unlikely, but possible that this is due to different kinds of normalization.
    In unicode there are at least two different of ways to write a ñ character.

1. As a single character, i.e. ñ (ñ)
    2. As n + ̃ (combining tilde, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilde)

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13089582/os-x-how-to-calculate-n... might be interesting...

Also, the Mac filesystem may be case-sensitive and Windows 7 isn't.

And yes... who knows, what Dropbox does...

5. 5 Posted by Cesar on 17 May, 2018 03:06 AM

Hello,
    I'm also having some weird behavior with tildes and ñ. When either of these is in the directory name or the file name beatunes shows me a 404 on the file. This actually happens when it has a combining tilde.

On some other instances when these are present on the file or directory name, searching for these song files shows nothing. When I remove these characters they appear in the search results.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac