Serato SL reading beattunes tags.

Oliver

07 Dec, 2015 08:37 PM

Hi I am trying to get beTune key tags to show up in the key column of Serato scratch live. I do all my editing in iTunes and have Serato read the iTunes library.. I have tried many things posted on this site with no luck. Thanks in advance. -Oliver
Serato SL 2.5.0
iTunes 11
barTunes 4
Mac 10.7.5 Lion

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 07 Dec, 2015 08:39 PM

2. 2 Posted by Oliver on 07 Dec, 2015 09:02 PM

Yes that was one of the sources I found. I am assuming I have an iTunes based library. I upload all of my music to iTunes first. I have tried both the embed non-iTunes fields from the preferences menu and the option from the tools tab. I then restart everything then rescan id3 tags from the Serato menu. However the key tag remains empty.
    Thoughts?

P.S. I have had great success editing with beaTunes so I am excited to get this functionality as well.
     -Oliver

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 08 Dec, 2015 06:52 AM

Hey Oliver,

I am assuming I have an iTunes based library.

If you can turn embedding on, you do. But if you are uncertain, check http://help.beatunes.com/kb/troubleshooting/how-to-tell-an-itunes-b...

I have tried both the embed non-iTunes fields from the preferences menu

Turning that on, only has an effect on the next time you analyze something. And then, only if the new values are different from what you had before. To force rewriting of tags, pick a couple of songs, change their key to no key or simply some other random key and have beaTunes analyze them again. With embedding on, they should be rewritten. Then rescan with Serato. Does that work?

I have tried both [...] and the option from the tools tab.

You mean Tools -> Embed non-iTunes Fields, right? That should actually make sure the key is written.

Can you perhaps post an audio file that Serato thinks is empty but you think has an the key embedded?

That aside, which exact version of beaTunes are you using?

Thanks,

-hendrik

4. 4 Posted by Oliver on 09 Dec, 2015 09:13 PM

Hello Hendrik. beaTunes was writing to the iTunes tags however Serato Scratch Live was not reading them. I was able to over come this problem by deleting a .plist file I followed instructions found here https://serato.com/forum/discussion/1336521

Thanks for your time. I loves beaTunes
    -Oliver

5. 5 Posted by Oliver on 09 Dec, 2015 11:12 PM

Actually that didn't solve my problem. I had to convert the id3 tag in itunes to v2.4 in order to get them to read right. Everything is looking up. -Oliver

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by hendrik on 10 Dec, 2015 07:45 AM

Is that a known issue with SSL? Only supporting ID3v2.4?

7. 7 Posted by Oliver on 10 Dec, 2015 07:37 PM

I don't know exactly, but once I changed the id3 tags version on my audio files SSL picked up all the beaTunes edits so it worked for me. I still have another problem I am working on that you may be able to help me with. iTunes allowed me to change the tag version of the audio files. However I am unable to address the tag version of my video files. I use video SL when I perform and I am unable to get key tag data on mp4 files. A large portion of my collection is music videos. I have looked at many tag editing programs but nothing lets me change the tag version of mp4's. Do you know if this can be done? Are tags for video files a different thing all together?

Thanks -Oliver

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by hendrik on 13 Dec, 2015 01:28 PM

Do you know if this can be done? Are tags for video files a different thing all together?

mp4 does not use ID3, therefore the ID3 version can't be changed.
    And the key field for mp4 files isn't officially standardized. So in the end, either Serato supports the de facto key field in the tags or not. It seems, it does not. I'd recommend asking Serato to support it...

9. 9 Posted by Oliver on 15 Dec, 2015 12:47 AM

Thank you Hendrik for all of your help and information.
    -Oliver

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by hendrik on 15 Dec, 2015 09:22 AM

My pleasure!

-hendrik

11. hendrik closed this discussion on 15 Dec, 2015 09:22 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac