Copy / Move "Tags" to Genres / Grouping / Comments etc.

jb

02 Jun, 2015 08:08 PM

Um, so I've just spent a month or so tagging nearly 2000 tracks with my genres / key words etc. Only to find that these aren't going to be visible in Serato where I need them. I want to set up smart crates in Serato so that anything tagged, say, "Techno" and "Deep" would appear in both smart crates. But since Serato can't read the tags field - or maybe it's not an ID3 field at all? - I'm a bit screwed. I can make up matchlists in beatunes using a tag match rule, and these will show up in Serato as itunes playlists, but I have to update the matchlists everytime I tag a new track to get the matchlists to update.

Also, Itunes won't go near my FLAC files which I manage in a separate beatunes library which uses the same tags. So I can't get Serato to include the tagged Flac files in the same playlists as my MP3s.

So my question is. Is there a way I can copy my tags to Genre or Comments or Grouping or a combination thereof so I can filter results in Serato accordingly.

Anyone got any ideas?

cheers,
jb

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 03 Jun, 2015 02:14 PM

Hey JB,

indeed "Tags" is not an ID3 field and therefore unsupported by third party software.
    beaTunes stores these tags in its private database and (in case embedding is on or you are using a folder-based library) the files themselves. If the information is stored in mp3 files, beaTunes uses a TXXX frame (defined in the spec). TXXX frames are often ignored by music software.

Are you into programming a bit? I'm asking, because you could probably easily write a LibraryBatchAction that copies the tags to another field (I would use "Grouping" or "Comments", but not "Genre"). Examples for other library batch actions can be found at http://help.beatunes.com/search?q=LibraryBatchAction

Cheers,

-hendrik

2. 2 Posted by jb on 04 Jun, 2015 06:27 PM

Hey Hendrik, thanks for the response. I'm not into programming at all to be honest. I get the logic, but the code is beyond me. Maybe you could write something for me? For a fee, of course....

Out of interest, why would the Genre field not be appropriate? I'm not interested in the Genre tags that come with my files as I generally re-tag them anyway so they fit where I want to slot them in the library. The fields are just titled as per the ID3 structure right? Or does each field behave differently? I could group by Genre in the Composer field if I wanted, right? Assuming my tagging was always consistent?

jb

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 05 Jun, 2015 10:15 AM

Hey JB,

please find a LibraryBatchAction attached that will copy all your tags to the grouping field.
    The beaTlet is plain text, so you can easily edit it with a text editor.

To install, please see http://help.beatunes.com/kb/plugins/how-to-install-a-plugin

After the beaTunes restart you can find it under Tools -> Copy Tags to Grouping.

For a fee, of course....

Definitely no fee necessary (this is trivial for someone who knows programming and the APIs), but I always appreciate positive propaganda! :-)

Regarding the genre field: Of course you could use that, too. It's just my humble opinion, that it shouldn't be used for this kind of stuff (and yes, grouping has a different meaning in classical music as well...). As an aside, genre used to be handled quite differently in older versions of the ID3 spec—in that sense it's not just another text field (known genres used to be encoded as numbers).

Note that the attached code overwrites everything in the grouping field for your whole library and that there is no undo. So if you are unsure about things, make sure you have a backup!

Cheers,

-hendrik

4. 4 Posted by jb on 08 Jun, 2015 07:10 PM

Thank you Hendrik, this looks great. Let me have a go and come back to you
    if I have any questions. Thanks very much for writing this up, it will be
    really helpful for me.
    Jb

5. 5 Posted by jb on 06 Apr, 2016 09:24 PM

Hi Hendrik,
    I hope you are well. Was just wondering if you be so kind as to adapt this
    process a little so that I only copy the the tags to grouping for the
    selected files. At the moment the process runs across all files in the
    library, meaning any amendments I make to 'Grouping' in other programmes
    (Serato, for example) are over-written when I tag a fresh batch of tracks
    and the run the script.

Many thanks,
    jim

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by hendrik on 10 Apr, 2016 06:00 AM

Unfortunately, that would be a complete rewrite of the script—something I can't do right now for lack of time.

Sorry.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac