Adding songs to library

Christopher Palladino

29 Mar, 2015 07:33 PM

1. If you experienced a crash or other abnormal behavior, please attach the log file 'beaTunes-logs-2015-03-29-152924.zip' by dragging it from your desktop onto the 'Attach File' button below.

2. Please enter your message to us here.
Why can I not add songs to an existing library without it creating an entirely new folder? For example I have a large library I created on March 1st 2015 and every time I have new songs in my folders I drag the files to the library name and then it creates a new folder within my music folder with the artist name. I just want it to accept the songs I drag and add them to the library without duplicating my files. I have well over 40,000 songs and erasing the library and adding the entire library weekly is not ideal, I'm a working DJ and love this app but it is hindering my decision to further use this or recommend it to others in my line of work. * beaTunes: 4.0.22
* JVM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
* Version: 25.40-b25
* Vendor: Oracle Corporation
* Library: FileSystem
* Memory: 92m - 1024m
* Registered as: Christopher Palladino

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 30 Mar, 2015 09:04 AM

Hey Christopher,

beaTunes' folder-based library is based on the concept that all files within a base-folder are in a library.

So to add a song to the library, one has to move the files in question into said base-folder or one of its sub-folders. On OS X, this is most easily done with Finder . Then, to tell beaTunes that there are new files, hit File -> Synchronize....

Alternatively, you can drag songs into beaTunes. But this does not trigger the simple addition of the existing files—instead it copies the files you dragged into the base folder, using artist and album names as folder structure.

So in order to avoid this copy behavior, please choose the first approach. More about how beaTunes libraries work here: http://blog.beatunes.com/2015/01/different-libraries-for-different-...

Hope this helps,

-hendrik

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac