Track Replay Gain iCloud

joshuahenry

23 Mar, 2015 03:36 AM

I've been searching high and low for an application to batch-adjust or "normalize" the volume of the songs in my iTunes library. Beatunes seems to be the solution, it is analyzing my library now. My question is, when it adjusts the gain in the file, do these changes also take effect when the songs are streamed using iCloud, or only on my host computer? I'm hoping when I play playlists in iTunes from an iPad in my restaurant, the songs volumes will be adjusted.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 23 Mar, 2015 10:16 AM

Hey Joshua,

I would love to give you a straight forward answer, but unfortunately I can't. Here's why:

beaTunes does perform a ReplayGain analysis and writes the results to both the regular ReplayGain tags as well as the proprietary ITunNORM tag, if you enabled Embed non-iTunes tags in the beaTunes general preferences. You can check the results in iTunes under Get Info -> File -> Volume ( not Get Info -> Options -> Volume Adjust—that's something different).

beaTunes writes straight to the file, because there is no API for this. As you can probably imagine, iTunes does not monitor all files all the time. In other words, until it plays a file, it has no reason to check what's stored in the metadata. Therefore it's highly unlikely that it syncs said metadata to iCloud. At least not until a file is played at least once. And even then I am not entirely convinced it does. The problem here is verification. While you can turn Sound Check on on your iPad/iPhone, I know of no way of figuring out, what exactly the current gain adjustment is (in dB). The Music app does not display it anywhere...

So this may or may not work. I suspect though it doesn't. For a definite answer you might want to ask Apple.

But perhaps regular Sound Check is good enough for you. Have you turned it on (you'd need to in any case)?

Cheers,

-hendrik

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac