Tools/"Submit Library to server" & Tools/"Submit Fingerprints to server"

thomson.gb

20 Feb, 2015 08:08 PM

Hendrik,

What is the purpose of the Tool/"Submit library to server and the Tools/"Submit Fingerprints to server"?
Are these something to help You to improve your database? What exactly is submitted , and to where?
Why? What about privacy? Is this something that You would like to encourage people with large
libraries to do?

Just wondering....

Regards,

-Grace
NNNN
z

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 21 Feb, 2015 08:51 AM

Hey Grace,

in beaTunes, audio metadata import is based on user submitted metadata and fingerprints. Without them it simply wouldn't work.

Thus submitting them helps build the database. Other users may benefit. This makes most sense, when the metadata quality is high. The submitted data does not contain any people identifiers like email addresses or names. All I care about are things like artist name, key, BPM, etc. The actual audio data is never transferred. Fingerprints are based on acoustical data only.

BTW, the same thing also happens implicitly when you enable "use online resources" in any of the analysis tasks, because to use the database, you have to send your metadata. Otherwise matching your songs to reference data is impossible.

Again, beaTunes does not tie any of this metadata to any real life identifiers like your name, email or IP address. However, each user is assigned a random id which is stored on both your computer and in the database. Because it's a random identifier it is impossible for me to look at the data in the database and make a connection to you as a person.

The same is true for songs: Each one of your local songs is assigned a random id (either by iTunes or beaTunes). Again, knowing that id, does not give me any knowledge of you as a person. But it allows the server to maintain connections once they are made. This means that the next time you analyze something with "use online resources" turned on, the server does not have to go on a big search to find reference data, if it has done this before. You present it with a personal song id, it realizes it has seen it before and knows what reference data it belongs to. This makes things way more efficient, while maintaining your privacy.

I hope this explains how that data is handled.

Cheers,

-hendrik

2. 2 Posted by Ben on 28 Feb, 2015 12:09 PM

I'm not so concerned about privacy (I'm sure Hendrik isn't snooping; for the broader issue, Google the name "Snowden"). A follow-on question: should we only submit our data when we are sure of it being fairly accurate? Overall, Beattunes has done a good job of tagging but there still are errors. FWIW, I do not trust the "duplicates" feature as I have lost or misplaced songs. Perhaps some guidelines on what you'd like submitted. For example, is there any value in my uploading my preened library data, when most of that data came from Beatunes or similar services?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 02 Mar, 2015 08:52 PM

should we only submit our data when we are sure of it being fairly accurate?

Of course I like accurate data better, but even if it's not super-accurate, it does not matter. The database averages metadata and removes outliers. So some bad data really does not matter too much.

FWIW, I do not trust the "duplicates" feature as I have lost or misplaced songs.

Please let me know, if you have any concrete problems.

For example, is there any value in my uploading my preened library data, when most of that data came from Beatunes or similar services?

Let's say it definitely does not hurt.

-hendrik

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac