What tags will beaTunes write if analysing a huge library

chris

19 Feb, 2015 05:06 AM

Hi there -
I would like to run beaTunes across 20k FLAC songs - but want to ensure that it wouldn't attempt to write any tags beyond BPM and Colour / Key.

Basically is it assured that it wouldn't change genres, titles, artists, albums, album artwork, etc.?

Much appreciated. I can always back up if necessary...

Cheers
Chris

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 19 Feb, 2015 07:19 AM

Hey Chris,

the answer is: It depends!

When you select some songs and then click on Analyze you are presented with the analysis options dialog. There you can choose what beaTunes shall do.

beaTunes will not randomly do anything else, unless you tell it to.

So unless you choose to import/change other metadata, but only select key, color and BPM, it won't do anything else.

Tip 1: Turn "use online resources" off.

Tip 2: If unsure about what beaTunes does or not, please try it out on a couple of songs, to make sure it does what you expect it to do. Messing up 20k songs would be a huge pain!

You might also want to read http://blog.beatunes.com/2015/01/audio-analysis-options-explained.html

Cheers,

-hendrik

2. 2 Posted by chris on 19 Feb, 2015 11:05 AM

Thanks Hendrik for the super prompt response.

So in theory it will only edit the vorbis tags (not ID3 on FLAC) for key / colour / BPM.

I'm happy to do a back up / trial run, just wanted to know the theory of how it should work :)

What would leaving "Use Online Resources" : "On" do differently in this case?

Cheers
    Chris

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 19 Feb, 2015 11:11 AM

I'm happy to do a back up / trial run, just wanted to know the theory of how it should work :)

And I'm happy to answer that question :-)
    But caution always pays off when you want to process 20k files.

What would leaving "Use Online Resources" : "On" do differently in this case?

Depending on your hardware it might slow processing down, because beaTunes would first ask a server for user submitted results and fall back on calculating stuff itself, if the server does not provide an answer.

Cheers,

-hendrik

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac