Export all infos vias id3 tags

Charade

07 Feb, 2015 04:42 PM

Hello!

I would like to know if infos like language, genre or color can become id3 tags to export them? I only see this option for key (becoming a "comment" tag). I wish everything analyzed, inspected and cleaned in BeaTunes could be exported to MediaMonkey as is, the exact same columns "copied-pasted".

Thank you!

Charade

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 07 Feb, 2015 05:32 PM

Hey Charade,

please remind me, what kind of library are you using?

iTunes or folder based?

If its folder based, everything is already exported to id3 (for mp3 files at least).
    If it's iTunes based, it depends on a setting in the general preferences: Embed non-iTunes fields

More info can be found in http://blog.beatunes.com/2013/10/so-where-exactly-does-beatunes-sto...

Cheers,

-hendrik

PS: That said—MM does not understand color, because it's unique to beaTunes. However, language for example is a standard id3 tag and MM should display it, if it's embedded.

2. 2 Posted by Charade on 07 Feb, 2015 11:23 PM

Hello Hendrik,

My library is folder based. My first guess was indeed that everything was exported, but besides default datas (id, BPM, gain replay...), the only new info I see is the key in a comment column. If the id3 tag contains everything, I'll have to search in MM what is it I do wrong... I'll let a note here before I close the post if I find anything useful for other users!

Thank you!

Charade

PS: I already knew that the color is not embeded in id3 tags. I always search a bit by myself before I ask! ;-) So given that I ask a lot these days, you can assume that I read a lot! :-) I remembered that the color of each song is relative to the whole library, so it may change every time we add or remove songs. I try to be a good student! :-D

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 08 Feb, 2015 12:45 PM

Hey,

If the id3 tag contains everything, I'll have to search in MM what is it I do wrong...

Perhaps you need to re-scan in MM after beaTunes analysis?

I always search a bit by myself before I ask! ;-)

Always appreciated! :-)

So given that I ask a lot these days, you can assume that I read a lot! :-) I remembered that the color of each song is relative to the whole library, so it may change every time we add or remove songs.

But it does not hurt to ask! And I don't mind. Here's why:

In version 4 the color concept has changed somewhat compared to previous versions. One of the biggest changes is, that the color is not relative to your library anymore.
    This makes is it feasible to actually embed the color value into the files as well. And beaTunes 4 does this using a regular TXXX id3 frame named beaTunes_COLOR and uses an RGB triplet in hex as value (e.g. FFFFFF is white).

I have no idea how MM displays TXXX frames or whether it displays them at all (even though they are part of the regular spec, most apps don't display stuff like it). But it's in there.

Hope this helps,

-hendrik

4. 4 Posted by Charade on 24 Feb, 2015 03:19 PM

Thanks!

I didn't know the changes about the color! It seems there still are posts I haven't read yet! :-)

I will see tonight what is exported in Media Monkey and what is not. My guess is that there won't be much except tempo and key...

I discovered a checkbox in MM to choose if I want the date of the files to be changed whenever I change something in the songs (volume levelling, album cover...). So, with a new date, BT will always know there is something to rescan.

I think MM always rescan every song when I ask it to, but I would have to put a test to be sure, like... give a silly title to a song in BT and check if the song kept the silly title in MM. I will give you news about it soon!

Thank you again!

Charade

5. 5 Posted by Charade on 12 Mar, 2015 03:49 PM

Hello Hendrik!

I ran some tests between BeaTunes and MediaMonkey. I noticed that the "test" title I gave for a song in BT was changed in MM too. Good. Check! But the tempos analyzed in BT are not the ones in MM, and I didn't find any color tag either. OK, maybe I just didn't recognized them, since I forgot that they were in codes! I will have to confirm this information...

In the other way, BT seems to import changes made in MM (titles, album covers) when I synchronize. Good. Check! I think that the volume level or gain replay that I changed in MM was changed in BT too (by ear), but I don't understand why the values analyzed in each software are so different from each other. Anyway, since MediaMonkey is the player, I will let it take care of this matter.

I hope these informations can help!

Charade

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by hendrik on 13 Mar, 2015 08:23 AM

but I don't understand why the values analyzed in each software are so different from each other.

Are they? You can check the calculated correction by enabling the Track ReplayGain column in beaTunes. Do you use the same target db level? Does MM also use the regular ReplayGain?

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by hendrik on 13 Mar, 2015 08:24 AM

Oh and for beaTunes to actually honor replay gain during playback, you have to turn it on in the Playback preference pane... Just figured I should mention this.

8. 8 Posted by Charade on 18 Mar, 2015 04:03 PM

I checked once more, and I confirm: many datas analyzed in Beatunes don't appear in MediaMonkey. The most annoying is the BPM that I have to enter or correct myself for many songs, since they are missing or wrong.

There is a nice feature in MM that is "Volume Leveling". It allows us to level the volume as if all the songs came from the same album. So, even with a device or player that doesn't support gain playback, the songs will play at a relatively steady loudness. With volume leveling, all songs now have their gain playback between -0,9 and +0,9 (for my 95dB setting). But in Beatunes, these changes are not shown when the gain playback is analyzed. There are big differences between values that were all supposed to be about the same. Honestly, I don't mind, because it is MM that I want to play at the right volume. I just thought it would interest you to know about it!

Charade

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by hendrik on 19 Mar, 2015 08:14 AM

The most annoying is the BPM that I have to enter or correct myself for many songs, since they are missing or wrong.

Really? MM does not show BPM calculated by beaTunes... that's odd, as it is such a standard field.

But in Beatunes, these changes are not shown when the gain playback is analyzed.

I'm not entirely certain I understand.
    Analyzed by whom?
    By beaTunes? Well, beaTunes analysis is about computing values... so it would not show MM values but overwrite them.

There are big differences between values that were all supposed to be about the same.

beaTunes can compute two different normalization values:

• Track Replay Gain
    • Album Replay Gain

You mention "songs came from the same album" — so the feature you mention corresponds to "Album Replay Gain" in beaTunes.

So to compare, you'd have to select the songs from an album, click Analyze and select the ReplayGain Task with Album ReplayGain turned on. Adjust the target level. Run the analysis and then enable the Album Replay Gain column in the main table view. Those are the values probably corresponding to what you see in MM.

Are they much different?

According to their docs, beaTunes and MM use the same algorithm (Replay Gain).

Cheers,

-hendrik

10. 10 Posted by Charade on 19 Mar, 2015 02:30 PM

Hello Hendrick!

Here are some explanations about the volume and gain question:

After a volume leveling in MediaMonkey, the original replay gain is replaced by a new one, as close as possible to the target level. We can chose if we want to level the album volume as a whole or each song individually. Since I use this feature for party lists, I want the songs to be at the same volume, no matter their album. But I would be more careful with albums like "The Wall"!

When I listen to my lists, I alway enable Track Replay Gain to complete the "leveled" feeling.

I thought the new Replay Gain values, set by MM volume leveling, were embeded somewhere with the songs, so Beatunes would pick them when synchronizing. If it were so, when BT analyzes the Track Replay Gain, the songs would all have similar gain values, since they were leveled. But they show big differences (as if they still had their original values?). This is what I don't understand... I'm afraid the new values are not imbeded, or I don't proceed correctly to export them!

Charade

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by hendrik on 19 Mar, 2015 03:19 PM

I thought the new Replay Gain values, set by MM volume leveling, were embeded somewhere with the songs

No idea... Perhaps ask the MM people?

so Beatunes would pick them when synchronizing

It should, as long as you are using a folder-based library.

12. 12 Posted by Charade on 19 Mar, 2015 07:19 PM

I will ask on the MM forum if there is an explanation to this mystery, but unfortunately, they don't have any "Super-Awesome-Hendrick" to rescue the damsels in distress! :-)
    Anybody answers any question to the best of their knowledge, and nobody has any authority to officially settle a problem.

If I get any interesting information, I'll keep you posted!

Thank you for all the valuable time you give to us, users!

Charade

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac