Convert Genres to Tags

SmittyDidIT

14 Aug, 2014 08:12 AM

Is it possible to convert iTunes categories to beaTunes tags e.g.
iTunes Categories: [Rock; Vocal; Female; Ballad] to 4 separate tags "Rock" "Vocal" "Female" "Ballad"

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 16 Aug, 2014 12:36 PM

Hey,

I'm not quite sure what you are referring to with "iTunes Categories". Where would I find those in iTunes? Screenshot?

Thanks,

-hendrik

2. 2 Posted by SmittyDidIT on 21 Aug, 2014 10:46 AM

My mistake Hendrik...
    I meant Genres (updated the original posting title accordingly)

Please let me know if this clarifies the request.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 21 Aug, 2014 10:48 AM

It sure does.
    Next question: Why would you want to do this?

4. 4 Posted by SmittyDidIT on 22 Aug, 2014 05:09 PM

I have nearly 13k songs in my iTunes db, I wish Apple would have implemented tagging, but unfortunately they did not.

Over the years I "tagged"all songs with the Genre field, it works reasonably okay ... but unfortunately the genres are rigid in a sense that if no standard is applied you will end up with a huge amount of unique genre combinations with one or a few songs ... the tagging mechanism in would probably work great, but I'm looking for an automated way to convert all genre combinations to tags for 13k songs and then have the flexibility of tags in producing playlists.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by hendrik on 23 Aug, 2014 12:23 PM

Hey,

you could write a simple library batch action beaTlet that does a one-time conversion job, to fill the beaTunes tags field with your genre values.

Do you know your way around one of the supported scripting language (JRuby, Groovy, Jython)?

Cheers,

-hendrik

6. 6 Posted by SmittyDidIT on 16 Sep, 2015 06:01 AM

Hey Hendrik,

Apologies for the late reply... unfortunately I am not savvy on scripting languages...

I'm still recording my huge collection of vinyl and cd.. and am at 20k+ items...

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac