Collecting All Songs by One Artist

pdmike

27 Sep, 2020 10:42 PM

I have several dozen songs by Merle Haggard. They are scattered all over my iTunes librarty. I want to see them, all in one place, using BeaTunes. How do I do it? (Newbie here, of course.)

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 28 Sep, 2020 05:45 AM

You could filter (field in the upper right corner) by Haggard, select the resulting tracks, and then create a playlist from the selected tracks via the corresponding item in the File menu.

2. 2 Posted by pdmike on 29 Sep, 2020 09:26 PM

I'm sorry, but I can't get this to work at all. I have over 1,400 songs in my iTunes library. Any given artist may appear in a number of different locations. Sorting by artist in iTunes doesn't always work because of differences in song information or spelling issues. As I read beaTunes, I should be able to collect all songs by one artist (for example) by using the Matching Songs feature. Every time I try it, however, nothing turns up in the space where all of the matching songs should appear. I know they're out there - why can't I get them to show up in the window? I have set source, rules, etc. properly, I think. What am I doing wrong?

Could you give me a step by step on this where you show me how to get all matching songs by the same artist?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 30 Sep, 2020 07:36 AM

Hi there,

Any given artist may appear in a number of different locations.

Just to clarify, with locations, do you mean files or tags?

In any case, make sure to first select the main "Music" list in the left panel and then filter by Haggard in the filter field in the upper right corner.

Sorting by artist in iTunes doesn't always work because of differences in song information or spelling issues.

You mean the same artist is spelled in different ways? You could fix that via inspection.

As I read beaTunes, I should be able to collect all songs by one artist (for example) by using the Matching Songs feature.

Not really. Matchlist or matching songs are a way to find similar songs (and how similarity is measured depends on a number of settings). It is not suitable to find tracks by the same artist.

Could you give me a step by step on this where you show me how to get all matching songs by the same artist?

Do you want "matching" (i.e. similar) tracks or tracks by the same artist? If the latter, please see above.

Hope this helps,

-hendrik

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac