beaTunes OS support

Jukka

03 Sep, 2020 11:25 AM

Can beaTunes be used on Linux or BSD systems? I'm most interested in running OpenBSD.

It seems the codebase would be rather portable, being mostly written in Java, and the world could use a good media player on open source systems too.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 04 Sep, 2020 07:35 AM

Hey,

Indeed porting beaTunes to Linux should not be a huge effort. So far I have refrained from the effort, because I don't see a commercial market there. I might start this as a side project at some point, but unfortunately—unless there is money to be earned—I can't give it as much attention as the Windows or Mac version.

Cheers,

-hendrik

2. 2 Posted by Jukka Männistö on 04 Sep, 2020 11:33 AM

Hi :)

Yeah, that's understandable.

On the other hand, the more locked down & surveillancey macOS & Windows get, the bigger the market for commercial software on the open source side :p

By the way, does the latest beaTunes still modify people's original music files' metadata?

BR,
    Jukka

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 05 Sep, 2020 07:22 AM

On the other hand, the more locked down & surveillancey macOS & Windows get, the bigger the market for commercial software on the open source side :p

You've got a point and I am very sympathetic to the Linux world.

By the way, does the latest beaTunes still modify people's original music files' metadata?

Yes. That hasn't changed yet.

4. 4 Posted by Jukka Männistö on 05 Sep, 2020 10:54 AM

> You've got a point and I am very sympathetic to the Linux world.

I've been using macOS since 2008 or so, because the Linux desktop experience was just too shit. I'm afraid it still is.

> Yes. That hasn't changed yet.

When can we expect that to change? :P

BR,
    Jukka

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by hendrik on 06 Sep, 2020 09:01 AM

I've been using macOS since 2008 or so, because the Linux desktop experience was just too shit. I'm afraid it still is.

That's one of the reasons I'm dreading a Linux port. Having to do too much customizing so that it actually looks appealing...

When can we expect that to change? :P

I may introduce an option in beaTunes 6, but frankly, there is no time table set for it.

6. 6 Posted by Jukka Männistö on 06 Sep, 2020 09:20 AM

> That's one of the reasons I'm dreading a Linux port. Having to do too much customizing so that it actually looks appealing...

I think you don't need to worry about that.

Open source software has always looked bad, right? So no long-time open source users wouldn't complain about it.

"Slave OS" (Mac/Win) refugees shouldn't complain either, because they should already know not to expect Mac-like polish from open source apps.

Oh well, I guess beaTunes isn't an open source app. But you know :)

When the whole environment has an open source UX, you wouldn't expect much more from even a commercial app in the same environment.

> I may introduce an option in beaTunes 6, but frankly, there is no time table set for it.

Alright, cool.

I don't think an option is needed though. What would it say?

"Do you want beaTunes to modify your original music files to maintain metadata, or do you want it to keep it separate?"

Why would anyone specifically want their files modified?

BR,
    Jukka

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by hendrik on 14 Sep, 2020 06:49 PM

Open source software has always looked bad, right? So no long-time open source users wouldn't complain about it.

Wow... rather fatalistic!

Why would anyone specifically want their files modified?

People love beaTunes as a tagger. That's what the inspection feature is all about!

8. 8 Posted by Jukka Männistö on 14 Sep, 2020 07:00 PM

> Wow... rather fatalistic!

Hm? It's true though?

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by hendrik on 15 Sep, 2020 06:38 AM

Hm? It's true though?

I haven't really used Linux desktops in a while, so I shouldn't judge. But yes. Traditionally, the Linux desktop and apps for it didn't look great. On the other hand, you have plenty of applications like Chrome or Slack nowadays, that look really good on Linux...

10. 10 Posted by Jukka Männistö on 15 Sep, 2020 06:43 AM

Chrome and Slack aren't exactly open source, which probably explains why they look good.. :)

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac