Matchlist results

Richard

27 Jun, 2020 06:03 PM

I've been messing around a little with Matchlists for the first time in the current version of beaTunes on a folder-based library. Hendrik, as you may remember, I have a pretty large library.

I selected one song at random ("California Sun" by the Rivieras), accepted the default matching rules, and limited results to 10 songs including the seed song. I was pleased with the playlist it created. Good matches, I thought.

I then tried another song, "Brother Louie" by Stories. This time beaTunes came back and said it "was not able to find any matching songs", and did I want to tweak the matching parameters? That seemed odd to me since there are plenty of candidate songs from which it could have chosen. That particular track has a bpm of 103.1, a key of A-minor, and a brown-ish color. A quick check of my whole library shows 528 tracks with a bpm of 103.1, and lots of tracks with the same key and a similar-looking color. I know there are other factors the matchlist considers, but it seemed odd to me that it couldn't find 9 other matching songs.

Any thoughts on that, Hendrik?

Thanks!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 28 Jun, 2020 05:18 AM

Hey Richard,

have you tried lowering the match quality? The lower that threshold, the higher the probability that songs are found.

-hendrik

2. 2 Posted by Richard on 28 Jun, 2020 05:40 AM

I just used the default values. I would have thought that, with 388k songs to choose from, it could have found some matches with the default parameters. There's nothing especially unusual about the seed song I chose: a #1 Billboard hit from 1973.
    It probably works differently, but the website Spotalike finds similar songs easily, some of which are in my local library: https://spotalike.com/songs-similar-to/stories-brother-louie/1151232 
    I'll look at it more closely tomorrow.

On Sunday, June 28, 2020, 12:19:04 AM CDT, hendrik <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

3. 3 Posted by Richard on 30 Jun, 2020 09:39 PM

OK, I think I discovered my error. At the top of the Matchlist dialog, there is a drop-down saying where to create the playlist from. I think the second matchlist I tried to create, the dropdown was referencing "untitled" - i.e., the previous matchlist I created. It is no surprise no songs in the "California Sun" playlist were a good match for "Brother Louie".

Problem solved. I just need to pay attention to the source location.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by hendrik on 02 Jul, 2020 04:07 PM

Problem solved.

I love to read that kind of sentence! :-)

5. hendrik closed this discussion on 02 Jul, 2020 04:07 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac