iTunes/Apples new music app...

Patch

20 Sep, 2019 06:52 PM

Hi Hendrik,
Can you tell us anything about the BeaTunes/new Apple Music app relationship?

I don't know a great deal about the new Music app, and I'm a little worried about Smart Playlists forward/backwards compatibility with old iTunes. I especially DON'T want to have to re-build my smart playlists in the new music app (when we see it for Window machines).

Will a new version of BeaTunes include Smart Playlist compatibility/functionality for migrating from a BeaTunes and iTunes set-up, to a BeaTunes and Music App set-up?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 21 Sep, 2019 11:11 AM

Can you tell us anything about the BeaTunes/new Apple Music app relationship?

On macOS, Music.app has more or less the same API as iTunes (typo corrected, was "Windows"), which means that not much changes from beaTunes' point of view. I.e. playlists and tracks can be imported and kept in sync.

I especially DON'T want to have to re-build my smart playlists in the new music app (when we see it for Window machines).

My personal suspicion is that Apple will simply kill iTunes for Windows in the long run. See this Twitter thread: https://twitter.com/stroughtonsmith/status/1169712417254846470

At the moment I am not aware of Apple splitting up iTunes for Windows. Should they do it in the same way they did it for Windows, there is no reason to be concerned. However, as mentioned, I don't think they will build a real music app for Windows. Rather a web app, perhaps bundled in a pseudo native app. But: that's really just a hunch based on the fact that Apple wants to sell Apple Music subscriptions, i.e., a streaming service, and not music files (anymore). By now, Apple is not making any money with providing an app for your music file collection.

Will a new version of BeaTunes include Smart Playlist compatibility/functionality for migrating from a BeaTunes and iTunes set-up, to a BeaTunes and Music App set-up?

iTunes Smart list and their mechanisms live exclusively in iTunes. If a hypothetical Music app for Windows offers an API, I will make an effort to find a way for beaTunes to interact with it.

2. 2 Posted by Patch on 22 Sep, 2019 09:47 AM

Thanks for the update.

I think I'll be sticking with iTunes 12.9.3.3, and whatever version of BeaTunes plays nicely with that.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 23 Sep, 2019 06:30 AM

Small correction:

On macOS, Music.app has more or less the same API as Windows, ...

That was supposed to say "API as iTunes".

4. 4 Posted by Patch on 29 Sep, 2019 08:32 PM

Very interested to understand what becomes of iTunes for Windows...

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by hendrik on 04 Oct, 2019 03:01 PM

Very interested to understand what becomes of iTunes for Windows...

Only time will tell. Let's wait and see.

6. 6 Posted by Patch on 05 Oct, 2019 02:26 PM

Indeed. I’m pretty pissed off about the lack of information re: iTunes future on Windows. More so about how 3rd party music/DJ apps are/are not going to be able to integrate with it.

I don’t use iTunes to play music - just to generate SmartLists that are readable by those 3rd party apps.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by hendrik on 06 Oct, 2019 08:37 AM

Interesting: what is it about iTunes smart lists that’s so unique and missing from other apps?

8. 8 Posted by Patch on 06 Oct, 2019 09:28 AM

They're not actually missing from all software (Serato & VDJ both definitely have SmartLists/SmartCrates), but they are DEFINITELY missing from Traktor (which, as you'll know, is the DJ s/w that I use).

Also - nesting of SmartPlaylists in iTunes (condition: Playlist IS) is REALLY useful, and not available in all other DJ s/w.

All DJ software integrates REALLY well with (the current) iTunes - so, if (like me) you've got your SmartLists working perfectly in iTunes, then you can get that exact functionality (ie - Live Updating) in your chosen DJ s/w.

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by hendrik on 06 Oct, 2019 07:43 PM

That makes a lot of sense.

10. 10 Posted by Patch on 06 Oct, 2019 11:49 PM

The Beatlet that you helped with has really tightened up my library management.

Now, pretty much all of the info I need to be able to manipulate and build SmartLists from actually liven IN the individual .mp3 files.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac