Beatunes on Multiple computers ?

James

02 Jul, 2019 03:37 PM

I have a desktop with is faster than my laptop. I'd like to use the desktop to handle file management sessions since it can process more audio files faster than my laptop. I'd like to know how to be able to manage the same library in beatunes from two different computers? I saw it mentioned that Beatunes will know which iTunes library it's working on but I assume if my updates are done one one computer those updates won't be reflected on the other since they both have their own xml file?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 03 Jul, 2019 07:02 AM

Do both computers access the same files (on some shared drive)?

2. 2 Posted by Patch on 03 Jul, 2019 07:06 PM

I’m also interested in this...

...I think the problem I had in the past was that different computers assigned different drive letters to the external drive I was using.

I never found a reliable way of permanently labelling the ext. drive so that both machines would see it as X:

3. 3 Posted by James Dillard on 03 Jul, 2019 08:50 PM

No, they're not. They basically don't share anything with the exception of the account itself.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by hendrik on 04 Jul, 2019 03:14 PM

No, they're not. They basically don't share anything with the exception of the account itself.

beaTunes does not do any cloud-magic sharing of metadata, so unfortunately, using it on multiple computers on different files won't do you any good.

5. 5 Posted by James D on 04 Jul, 2019 10:24 PM

That’s not exactly my application. I would be using the same files but just on two different computers. My desktop will analyze files faster than my laptop. My goal is to analyze the files on my desktop and then use them on my laptop. But, the only issue is with iTunes where as two different XML files would be in play and therefore I need to find a way to update the metadata on the same files from both machines. I believe there’s a file option I could toggle. That might work if the metadata can still be seen in iTunes later on.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

6. 6 Posted by Patch on 05 Jul, 2019 04:18 AM

I think I understand.

I’ve tried to do what you want to be able to do (2-way sync file sync/tag sync) but it’s not possible.

File Sync software does not check for updates to tags, they just check for actual file content and created/modified date.

The way around this is to keep all your music and library files on an external drive, and move it between computers.

You need to somehow “lock” the drive letter on this ext, HDD/SSD so that both machines see it as the same drive letter...

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by hendrik on 05 Jul, 2019 06:19 AM

The way around this is to keep all your music and library files on an external drive, and move it between computers.

Yep. Having only one copy of the files is a solution. But even with that, iTunes does not re-scan the library on a regular basis, so it won't see new metadata right away. Only when you play a file its internal changes are loaded. There are other ways to trigger this: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/77193/is-there-a-way-to-f...

I would be using the same files but just on two different computers.

So it's two copies/versions of each file? That sounds like a nightmare. On Linux/Unix/macOS you could use rsync.

8. 8 Posted by James Dillard on 05 Jul, 2019 06:23 AM

I assume I should move the iTunes xml file to the external drive? Right now it's on the laptop local default location.

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by hendrik on 05 Jul, 2019 06:24 AM

Where the XML file is located does not matter at all.

It's where your audio files are: Ideally you have them on only one drive that both computers can access.

10. 10 Posted by James Dillard on 05 Jul, 2019 06:32 AM

They're on an external at the moment. Will your software take advantage of the enhanced speed of a ssd vs hdd? (i.e. Load tracks faster, analyze faster, etc?)

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by hendrik on 05 Jul, 2019 06:36 AM

They're on an external at the moment.

That's good.

Will your software take advantage of the enhanced speed of a ssd vs hdd?

Yes, unless there is another bottleneck, like a slow network connection or a slow USB port (v2).

12. 12 Posted by Patch on 05 Jul, 2019 12:11 PM

This is getting interesting...

You see, Hendrik, this is the reason that I want to keep ALL of my metadata in the actual .mp3 file.

It means I can rebuild my iTunes collection at any time, and all my Smart Playlists will autopopulate.

I do this occasionally to keep my library in shape.

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by hendrik on 06 Jul, 2019 09:20 AM

You see, Hendrik, this is the reason that I want to keep ALL of my metadata in the actual .mp3 file.

Patch is making a good point here.

Here's what I would do:

• Start beaTunes on the faster computer
    • Make sure "embed non-iTunes field" in the general preferences is turned on (before making any other changes)
    • Run the analysis
    • Because embedding is turned on, all info is not only communicated to iTunes on your fast machine, but also stored in your audio files.
    • After analysis, start beaTunes on the slow computer pointing it to an iTunes library that uses the same files as the fast computer
    • (if you have done this before, choose Tools -> Rebuild Library to make sure all information from your fast analysis is read)
    • Make sure embedding is also turned on, on your slow computer
    • Start using beaTunes on your slow computer

Note that this has a couple of drawbacks. iTunes on your slow computer won't notice all the changes immediately. You'll have to tell it to read them (see link I posted earlier).

beaTunes also won't notice changes it hasn't done itself or that were made in the local iTunes. You might have to tell it to re-read stuff. This is possible via rebuilding (not repairing) the database or for selected tracks via File -> Refresh Metadata.

14. 14 Posted by Patch on 06 Jul, 2019 11:58 AM

That File > Refresh Metadata is a godsend!!!

Historically, I’d just delete everything from my iTunes collection and re-import it.

Anyone using iTunes without BeaTunes for maintaining their DJ Library is missing some MASSIVE tricks...

15. 15 Posted by James D on 06 Jul, 2019 04:20 PM

Great! Thanks for this information!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac