using folders

Jan Edwards

08 Feb, 2019 01:42 PM

1. If you experienced a crash or other abnormal behavior, please attach the log file 'beaTunes-logs-2019-02-08-132536.zip' by dragging it from your desktop onto the 'Attach File' button below.

2. Please enter your message to us here.

Getting fed up with iTunes for a number of reasons so looking at switching to folders......have a question on synching....

You say in an article " A common question that comes up is, "how do I add files to the library"? The easiest way is to add new sub-folders with audio files to your base-folder and then choose Synchronize from the File menu. Alternatively, you can also simply drag files into the beaTunes Music list. If the file is not already contained in the base-folder, a copy within in the base-folder will be created and added to the library."

My music is stored in a simple format on one drive: Win 10: 64 bit: with artists contained in individual folders under one main folder - Music.

My questions:

"add new sub-folders with audio files to your base-folder" --say I just add files to an existing artist folder - will BT pick this up on sync??

If I move songs from one folder to another - sync handles this?

Many thanks

Jan

beaTunes: 5.1.11
* JVM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
* Version: 25.181-b13
* Vendor: Oracle Corporation
* Library: iTunes
* Memory: 92m - 640m
* Registered as: Jan Edwards

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 08 Feb, 2019 01:49 PM

Hey Jan,

say I just add files to an existing artist folder - will BT pick this up on sync??

Yes, as long as it's below the base folder you have configured.

If I move songs from one folder to another - sync handles this?

To a degree:

In any case, beaTunes will notice that some files are gone and some files were added.

Depending on your filesystem, it may make the connection, i.e. realizing that the files were merely moved. As a rule of thumb: on modern filesystems it should work flawlessly, but it will fail on network drives or FAT.

Hope this helps,

-hendrik

2. 2 Posted by Jan Edwards on 09 Feb, 2019 01:11 PM

Thanks Hendrik

I'll now get going with a folder system and keep my eye on things when I make changes.

Best wishes

Jan

3. hendrik closed this discussion on 11 Feb, 2019 07:43 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac