iTunes on external drive

bouss88

11 Jan, 2019 12:50 PM

Hello. I got BeaTunes 5.1.
I got my music in itunes folder on external drive (400gb)
I want to get bpm to my music library.
When I start to do it, it start to fill my macbook's storage.
How can you help me)) I want BeaTunes to overwrite logs and information of my itunes library and save it on external drive, where it is located. Thanks forehead

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 11 Jan, 2019 02:11 PM

This is on macOS, right?

beaTunes stores all relevant files in the path ~/Library/Application Support/beaTunes/ (~/Library is hidden in Finder—the simplest way to find it is in Finder to open the menu item Go -> Go to Folder and enter ~/Library/Application Support/beaTunes/). If you want those files on your external hard drive, you need to make sure there is a symbolic link with the name ~/Library/Application Support/beaTunes/ to some folder on that external hard drive.

So in essence,

• shut down beaTunes
    • copy the folder ~/Library/Application Support/beaTunes to /Volumes/YOUR_EXTERNAL_DRIVE/beaTunes
    • create a symbolic link on your internal harddrive named ~/Library/Application Support/beaTunes to the folder on your external hard drive (use the ln -s command from the command line, e.g. like this: ln -s /Volumes/YOUR_EXTERNAL_DRIVE/beaTunes ~/Library/Application\ Support/beaTunes)
    • start beaTunes

Does this solve the problem for you?

-hendrik

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by hendrik on 11 Jan, 2019 02:11 PM

For an explanation about symbolic links (should you need it), please see this answer.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac