Key of a Song

Frank

16 Nov, 2018 08:54 AM

Hi there,

I am thinking of purchasing beatunes and currently trying out the test version. One thing I would like to do is determining the key of a song. However, it seems to me that it is not working. Is the key really computed/determined out of the file or is beatunes just checking corresponding sites (such as tunebat) for this information. For instance, the song "Girl on the moon" from Foreigner is determined as being in the key of E Major in both beatunes computation and tunebat whereas the actual key is b minor.

Thanks in advance,

Frank.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 16 Nov, 2018 09:47 AM

Hey Frank,

beaTunes does not use TuneBat. However, it can use its own databased, which consists of data submitted by users. The values may have been entered manually or computed algorithmically.

When you select a song in beaTunes and click "Analyze" you get an "Analysis Options" dialog. There you will find the "Analyze Key" task with a couple of options.

Let me explain those options (they are also explained in the online help, available under the beaTunes 'Help' menu and also in the left sidebar of that dialog).

1. Replace — obviously this allows you to overwrite existing values.
    2. Online Resources — look the key up in the database, rather than estimating the key based on your file. It sounds like you want this to be off.
    3. Limit — instead of looking at the whole track, only take one minute into account. May decrease accuracy.
    4. Copy key — additionally write the key value to the comment field
    5. Genre — the key estimator acts differently for different genres. If you know your genre, you can increase accuracy by choosing the correct genre.

In any case: key estimation is not a 100% correct science. So your mileage may vary.

Cheers,

-hendrik

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac