why oh why have every font file on the computer open?

mr.m.kaufman

14 Nov, 2018 05:17 AM

Tracking down a periodic UI slowdown/halt while beaTunes is merrily Analyzing my iTunes library, I saw that it has literally every font file on my entire laptop open! Well, at least every one in /Library/Fonts and /System/Library/Fonts !

I don't know that it's a "problem", but I do know that my laptop, even after a fresh boot, will become unresponsive at the GUI for tens of seconds at a time while beaTunes is full speed on Analyzing. The About dialog doesn't show memory above its initial high water mark, and Activity Monitor shows it never exceeding "200%" of CPU, which is consistent with me allocating it two of my i7's four cores... Java is up-to-date, iTunes is up-to-date, and I am staying on Yosemite until Mojave has seen more cook time in the wild.

Ideas about the slowdown? And why all the open font files? Use "lsof" at a shell prompt...

Thank you.

-Mark

1. 1 Posted by mr.m.kaufman on 14 Nov, 2018 05:57 AM

On my system, right now, 220 of 498 open files in beaTunes are Fonts files...

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by hendrik on 14 Nov, 2018 10:49 AM

Interesting.

beaTunes does a font scan at some point to work around display issues with certain characters and should not keep those files open. That said, I believe it's unrelated to the UI slowdown/halt you are seeing.

How long is the UI freeze? If it's more than just a few seconds, it will be logged. Any chance you can send me your logs (Help -> Upload Logs from within the app)?

Thanks.

-hendrik

3. 3 Posted by mr.m.kaufman on 14 Nov, 2018 06:32 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I wasn't suggesting the hundreds of open file handles was actually affecting things, but I thought I'd mention it as it seemed "sloppy" and I figured you'd want to address that :-).

As for the UI slowdown, it's the entire OS, not just beaTunes. My mouse cursor is responsive until I click on anything (i.e. introduce an actual mouse event to process), or enter a keyboard command (like command-Q!), at which point the indicated action is probably actually running, but the UI (i.e. the display) is frozen in place for 30-60 seconds. I took to using command-Tab to get to beaTunes (sometimes waiting a while for the system to respond to my command-Tab's), then command-Q to stop it. Ironically, it seems to recognize the quit immediately, because it throws up its shutting down pop-up, and my system is immediately responsive (even before beaTunes actually disappears from my Dock). So it's clear beaTunes is either causing or revealing this issue...

I've only seen this during Analysis. I did a pretty complete Inspection before Analysis, and never saw this issue. For sure I can send you logs if it happens again, but since that only occurred during Analysis, and that long and painful task is now complete, I am wary of kicking it off again and suffering the productive use of my laptop!

BTW, I observed this during the first Analysis, but after altering a couple of Analysis settings, I re-ran Analysis all over again for my complete library. Very fast progress, but these definite slowdowns throughout the day-and-a-half that pass took. I believe if I just walk away and leave it alone, at some point when I come back all is well again...

Very strange. Although it's definitely brought out by beaTunes, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the real cause is somewhere deep in a Java library...

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by hendrik on 16 Nov, 2018 07:55 PM

as it seemed "sloppy" and I figured you'd want to address that :-).

Absolutely. I wasn't aware of it.
    That said, it does no harm and seems to be done by the underlying platform (Java in this case). Apparently, if a font was loaded once, the file is kept open.

I think the system wide freeze issue has been addressed in the other discussion. So I'm going ahead and closing this one.

5. hendrik closed this discussion on 16 Nov, 2018 07:55 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac