Big Library in iTunes

Jon

14 Jan, 2011 09:14 PM

Does your software recreate the entire library while it works out the BPM???? If the Library is 10Gb, how much extra would your software need, and where does it store the temp library it creates?
I'm a little worried about it wrecking my Library if it starts to eat up too much disk space

1. 1 Posted by Abe Ingle on 14 Jan, 2011 11:01 PM

Hi Jon,
    I've been using BeaTunes with my extremely large library (over 10Gb). Beatunes analyzes and updates songs in real time, one song at a time. I haven't experienced any issues.

Abe
    DJ Invisiboy

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by hendrik on 15 Jan, 2011 01:53 PM

Correct: beaTunes will not first copy every file and then work on the copies.
    Instead it will process one file at a time.

That said - it's of course always a good idea to have some sort of backup for important data :-)

-hendrik

3. 3 Posted by Jon on 15 Jan, 2011 10:19 PM

Thanks, I backed up and (gingerly) tested it. Works well, but many of the BPM calculations are either double or half speed. I can't see any way to improve on the outcomes. I'm using the suggested, Rayshoot, 70-140, Use Online resources, with Quality ranging from Fast to Accurate. May not be possible to get better than what I'm getting, but it does mean the only way to find out is to check EACH outcome. Any pointers?

4. 4 Posted by Lien on 16 Jan, 2011 08:24 AM

I too have a large library (320 Gig) and Beatunes does seem to struggle with this amount of data. It came up with this error message. Other than this, a great app.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by hendrik on 16 Jan, 2011 04:29 PM

@jon: Not using Online Resources may lead to better results.

@lien: the size of your library in songs is actually irrelevant, only the number of songs matter. If you are running in the issue described by the screenshot repeatedly, you might need to increase the amount of memory granted to the app or run fewer analysis tasks in parallel (option in Analysis preference pane).

6. 6 Posted by Jon on 16 Jan, 2011 05:08 PM

Hi, I tried that, doesn't improve the results. But I thought an online resource might already have had human intervention and be more accurate than a machine.

Don't get me wrong, I like the software and am still exploring it, but I guess it's difficult to get the BPM to match what a person might consider it to be when lots of instruments are involved and filling in various parts of the beat.

I think your software gets me a lot further than I'd be on my own, and I can intervene in those instances where I know (or guess) the BPM has been doubled. For example, it's obvious "Gloomy Sunday" shouldn't really be 140BPM. Funny though.

7. 7 Posted by abe on 16 Jan, 2011 06:11 PM

Sent from my iPhone

8. 8 Posted by lien on 16 Jan, 2011 06:24 PM

On 16 Jan 2011, at 18:11, abe wrote:

> #ignore

9. 9 Posted by DJ Invisiboy on 16 Jan, 2011 07:30 PM

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 10:24 AM, lien <
    [email blocked]<tender%[email blocked]>
    > wrote:

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by hendrik on 17 Jan, 2011 08:18 AM

In some cases "online resources" does mean that a person actually entered a value, but you shouldn't count on it. In most cases these are values from people like yourself, using beaTunes.

-hendrik

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac