adding a second root folder to a library

Richard

30 Aug, 2018 03:34 PM

Hello Hendrik,

I seem to be monopolizing the "Help" discussions. Sorry about that. I hope others will find some of these threads informative.

Today I am preparing to add "folder_b" to the existing library that contains only "folder_a" at the moment. I read the blog post on this and understand the edit I need to make to preferences2.xml.

Background: You may recall that my "folder_a" is kind of big, containing 87k tracks. It took awhile to get them all synchronized and analyzed, and we ran into a couple of problems and issues which you were so kind to help me through and address. "Folder_b" is bigger: 270k tracks.

I want to do this the best way possible because of the amount of computer time that will be involved, so here is my question: Should I (1) update preferences2.xml FIRST by adding a new <root> entry to the existing library, synchronize and THEN begin doing the analysis, knowing that 87,000 tracks of the newly-combined 357,000 have already been analyzed? OR (2) should I create a NEW library with just folder_b, do all the analysis (which will take many days of computer time), and THEN update preferences2.xml to merge the two libraries into one? Or (3) does it make any difference?

It seems to me that conceptually option (1) would be better. Why create a 2nd library only to merge it into another one later? But I'm concerned the analysis portion will be more time-consuming due to having to skip over the already-analyzed tracks. I WILL be using the option to not overwrite existing tags in every instance, so I won't actually be reanalyzing the original tracks.

Thanks for your help once again.

(System: Windows 8.1, folder-based library, beaTunes 5.1.9 "snapshot")

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 30 Aug, 2018 03:58 PM

Frankly, adding 270k songs will be interesting. I assume you have set the heap memory to some fairly high value?

Regarding your question:

I agree, (1) is conceptionally the preferred method. The additional overhead should be minimal.

That said, back up your library (the beaTunes database) before you try this, so that you can go back to a working starting point, in case something goes wrong! Create the backup, while beaTunes is not running.

2. 2 Posted by Richard on 30 Aug, 2018 04:19 PM

I will back up the library db. Thanks for the reminder.

What heap memory value would you recommend? Right now my setting is -Xmx3072m. My PC has 16GB installed RAM, which was a lot when I got it 4-plus years ago. Now, not so much.

beaTunes ultimately handled the 87k tunes folder OK. It took awhile, of course, to analyze it all. It analyzed somewhere around 1200 tracks per hour running all 4 threads I had available. I kept feeding it chunks of tracks at a time, which it handled fine. Ultimately, I just gave it the final 30k tracks or so all at once.

To: [email blocked]
     Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2018 10:58 AM
     Subject: Re: adding a second root folder to a library [Questions #10073]

#yiv2665034867 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv2665034867 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 31 Aug, 2018 09:11 AM

-Xmx3072m should be enough, as beaTunes makes an effort not to holed everything in memory. So that's what I would start with.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac