AcousticBrainz error 429 "Too Many Requests" during beaTunes analysis

Richard

27 Jul, 2022 08:28 PM

Lately, I have been receiving frequent errors when I analyze a new batch of tunes in beaTunes. The error is "Failed to submit (song name) to AcousticBrainz. 429: TOO MANY REQUESTS. You have exceeded your rate limit. See the X-RateLimit-* response headers for more information on your current rate limit."

In my most-recent analysis batch, I had 135 new tracks. There were 47 error message in total, of which 25 were "Failed to submit (song title) to AcousticBrainz. Unable to find MusicBrainz ID." (an error message with which I am familiar and am not concerned with). The other 22 errors were of the 429 variety.

It seems to me that I am doing AcousticBrainz a favor by submitting my analysis results to them. (The same goes for any other beaTunes users.) So if they don't want what I am sending, maybe I should turn off the beaTunes option to send data to them. But since the error only recently started appearing, I thought I would bring it up in the support forum.

I would not be willing to have beaTunes impose a throttle on the analysis function simply to accommodate AcousticBrainz new(?) rate limit. On the other hand, if beaTunes wanted to do some caching without slowing down the foreground analysis, I could live with that.

I am on beaTunes 5.2.28, folder-based library, Windows PC, running 3 parallel analysis tasks on a 8-year old Intel Core i5 4670K 4 core CPU, and giving beaTunes 12GB of my 32GB total RAM since I have a pretty big library db.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

1. 1 Posted by Richard on 29 Jul, 2022 06:21 AM

Further info:

I just processed another batch of songs with the same settings as before. 71 tracks in about 17 minutes, or roughly 4.1 tracks per minute, so I wasn't exactly flooding their server with hits. 9 "429" errors and 3 of the "Unable to find MusicBrainzID" variety. This was at around 1am my time, 8am Germany time. That's a slightly better "429" error rate than before (9 of 71 vs 22 of 135). This batch of songs might have been slightly longer in duration on average than the previous batch, and so didn't analyze quite as quickly.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by hendrik on 29 Jul, 2022 09:42 AM

Hi Richard,

AcousticBrainz has made the tough decision to shut down eventually. More info can be found in this blog post: https://blog.metabrainz.org/2022/02/16/acousticbrainz-making-a-hard...

The 429 errors you are seeing me be part of this. Further submissions to AB are unfortunately pointless.

Hope this sheds some light on the issue,

-hendrik

3. 3 Posted by Richard on 29 Jul, 2022 02:04 PM

Thank you, Hendrik. I was unaware that AB was shutting down.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by hendrik on 29 Jul, 2022 05:05 PM

Yeah. It hasn’t really hit any news sites and I have received the news quite late as well.

It’s a pity, but their reasoning is sound.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac