An error ocurred: java.io.Exception: PUID lookup timed out

Raul Schmidt

29 Dec, 2009 02:58 AM

Every time i choose the option Get MusicIP PUID i had the same error.

if you experienced a crash or other abnormal behavior, you might want to attach log files from /Users/raschmi/Library/Logs/beaTunes

• beaTunes: 2.1.0
  • JVM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
  • Version: 14.3-b01-101
  • Vendor: Apple Inc.
  • Registered as: RAUL HERNAN SCHMIDT
  1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 29 Dec, 2009 11:46 AM

Hi Raul,

this can happen when either your internet connection is down or the MusicIP server is overwhelmed and does not react to requests anymore. I will check with the MusicIP people what's going on on their end.

May I ask, what exact action you executed to get to this message?

Thanks,

-hendrik

2. 2 Posted by Raul Schmidt on 29 Dec, 2009 12:46 PM

I use The Command:

"get MusicIP PUIDs"

Regards,

RS

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 29 Dec, 2009 12:51 PM

I assume, the one in the tools menu?

Thanks - I'll look into that.

-hendrik

4. 4 Posted by Raul Schmidt on 29 Dec, 2009 01:58 PM

>
    > Yes
    > ==================================================
    > From: hendrik
    > Subject: An error ocurred: java.io.Exception: PUID lookup timed out
    >
    > I assume, the one in the tools menu?
    >
    > Thanks - I'll look into that.
    >
    > -hendrik
    >
    > View this Discussion online: http://help.beatunes.com/discussions/problems/5468-an-error-ocurred-javaioexception-puid-lookup-timed-out
    > --
    > Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this
    > discussion.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by hendrik on 30 Dec, 2009 02:57 PM

Hi,

I just tested that feature again and can't see any problem.
    Could you please start beaTunes, try that feature again and shut beaTunes down, once it failed? Then zip the folder ~/Library/Logs/beaTunes and send the zip file my way?

Maybe I can see something in the logs.

Thanks,

-hendrik

6. 6 Posted by Raul Schmidt on 30 Dec, 2009 03:19 PM

Ok. I will do that. Regards,

RS

7. 7 Posted by montepaulsen on 14 Oct, 2010 06:53 AM

I am getting the same message. Multiple tries have yielded about a total of 300 PUID's. It times out every time. I checked my internet connection - it's fine.

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by hendrik on 14 Oct, 2010 10:08 AM

Hi,

if it worked before, this may just be a problem with the MusicIP/Amplifind-server. Something I can't really do anything about.

However, there are two ways to get the PUIDs.

1) Through the Tools menu, which is probably what you did.
    2) Through analysis

To get the PUIDs through analysis, simply add you library to the queue and *only* check the MusicIP PUID task set to only import PUIDs and not change anything.

Hope this helps,

-hendrik

9. 9 Posted by Montgomery Paul... on 16 Oct, 2010 04:28 PM

Hendrik,

Thanks, going through the "Analysis" section rather than through "Tools" fixed the time-out issue.

Looking for a couple of other hints now. I'm trying to delete duplicates. After I inspect the library, I'd like to chose all instances of duplicates and run the delete program. I'm looking for some sort of "select all" button. I realize that I can highlight the songs in question, and I've tried things like hitting the shift button and page down, but this is slow going. iTunes has done that thing where it duplicates every song and puts a "1" after it. In some cases a "2" and a "3". So 500 GB of song has turned into 1.2 TB. (140,000 songs!). So I need solution with as little manual selection as possible on my part. I tried highlighting and hitting "end", but the highlighted part goes beyond the duplicates and into other section of the library inspection screen. Any ideas?

2nd issue: I've tried the various parameters for deletion (i.e highest bitrate, first added, etc.), and it deletes the from my BeaTunes screen, and I assume from the iTunes screen (haven't checked), but I still see the extra duplicates when I look at the folder on the hard drive. I understood that it would delete them from the hard drive, not just from the iTunes list, right? Any suggestions?

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by hendrik on 16 Oct, 2010 04:36 PM

Doesn't Command-A (for select all) work?

-hendrik

11. 11 Posted by montepaulsen on 02 Nov, 2010 03:40 AM

I've been trying to delete multiple duplicates at once. I've looked up all PUIDs, and I run the Inspect Library with only the parameter to check for duplicates. All fine so far. Then I've tried to select all of the suggested duplicates (using "control A"). When I choose "Keep the song that was added first, delete all others", it spends a lot of time (too long to sit around and wait - 20 minutes? I don't know, but long enough that I have to walk away and come back later). Then I click the "commit changes button, and it takes another long time. And then when it's all done, it has only eliminated the first duplicate. It did not eliminate any of the others. When I run the library inspect function, it has moved the next duplicate up to the top of the list. Itunes drops from "145,903 songs" to "145,902 songs". I have about 50,000 duplicates I think, and at this rate, it'll be about 50,000 days to eliminate them. How can I get it to delete multiple duplicates at one click?

12. Support Staff 12 Posted by hendrik on 02 Nov, 2010 08:17 AM

Hey,

This almost sounds like something us going wrong. Would you mind repeating the process, shutting down beaTunes and sending me your logs?

Thanks,

-hendrik

13. 13 Posted by montepaulsen on 03 Nov, 2010 02:13 AM

Hi Hendrik,

Attached are the logs.

Monte

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 1:19 AM, hendrik <
    [email blocked]<tender%[email blocked]>
    > wrote:

14. Support Staff 14 Posted by hendrik on 03 Nov, 2010 09:50 AM

Hi Monte,

thanks for the logs. It looks as though you are committing only one issue and that is the only one that gets fixed.

Take a look at the inspection dialog. It's divided into three panes, an issue tree in the upper left corner, a selected issue in the upper right corner and a song pane in the lower half of the window.

To fix multiple issues at once, you need to select multiple issues in the issue tree in the upper left corner. You can do so by holding down the CTRL key when clicking on them. You should then still be able to select a common solution for all of them, but you won't be able to review them individually (there will probably be a little message box, making you aware of that).

Also, committing more than one of these issues should reduce the time spent per issue, as a couple of optimizations kick in. Unfortunately, with a library of your size, it will still be worth getting a coffee.

Hope this helps,

-hendrik

15. 15 Posted by montepaulsen on 03 Nov, 2010 03:43 PM

Not sure I understand or agree with your solution. I attempted to select all songs, and then fix the issue. Each time I selected "keep the song that was added first". Each time it fixed the first song and ignored the remainder. I have done this 5 or 6 times, and each time it fixed just the top song on the list. So it seems clear to me that the same solution worked on all 6, but it only worked one song at a time.

Thus you are correct that I was selecting only one solution, but it is also true that this one solution solved the problem 6 times in a row. But only after 6 unique attempts.

16. Support Staff 16 Posted by hendrik on 03 Nov, 2010 05:03 PM

Well, let's hope this is just some sort of misunderstanding.

When you clicked on "keep the songs that was added first", did you have one or multiple issues selected in the issue tree (the upper left part of the window)?

-hendrik

17. 17 Posted by montepaulsen on 03 Nov, 2010 05:31 PM

I put the cursor on the first song and hit Control A to select every song in the upper left. It highlighted all of them, but it did not act upon all of them, just upon the first song on the list.

18. Support Staff 18 Posted by hendrik on 04 Nov, 2010 06:31 AM

I'll try to reproduce the issue and will get back to you.

-hendrik

19. Support Staff 19 Posted by hendrik on 04 Nov, 2010 11:28 AM

You are right - it's a bug in the UI.
    Instead of using Ctrl-a to select all Duplicate issues, please just click on Duplicates in that upper left tree panel. That will effectively select all duplicate issues. It will also clear the song list in the lower half of the window (by design).

Does that solve the issue?

Thanks,

-hendrik

20. 20 Posted by montepaulsen on 11 Nov, 2010 10:50 AM

Hendrik,

Is it possible to run the program on just a portion of the songs with issues? I clicked the "duplicates" button and it seems to be running, but it has been using about 98% of my processor, and going like that for about 3 days now. I don't know if it's working on the process, or if it's just hung up. How many more days do you suppose I should wait?

Monte

21. Support Staff 21 Posted by hendrik on 11 Nov, 2010 11:04 AM

Hi,

I guess after you clicked 'duplicates' you also chose a solution?
    If so, days are certainly excessive!!
    Can you send me a fresh set of logs, please? They should indicate whether there still is activity. You might want to check then yourself.

Thanks,

-hendrik

PS: I wont be able to provide support this Fri to Sun.

22. 22 Posted by montepaulsen on 15 Nov, 2010 04:09 AM

Attached are the logs.

From what I gather by looking at the logs, it was working on the problem, but taking a long time. I am wondering if it has to go through the complete cycle, then when finished I need to "Commit Changes", after which it is another long time? Any way to split this up into smaller blocks?

Monte

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 3:06 AM, hendrik <[email blocked]> wrote:
    // Add your reply above here
    ==================================================
    Subject: An error ocurred: java.io.Exception: PUID lookup timed out

Hi,

I guess after you clicked 'duplicates' you also chose a solution?
    If so, days are certainly excessive!!
    Can you send me a fresh set of logs, please? They should indicate whether there still is activity. You might want to check then yourself.

Thanks,

-hendrik

PS: I wont be able to provide support this Fri to Sun.

View this Discussion online: http://help.beatunes.com/discussions/problems/5468-an-error-ocurred...
    --

Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

23. Support Staff 23 Posted by hendrik on 15 Nov, 2010 12:13 PM

Hi Monte!

Thanks so much for those logs. I spent some quality time with the code and it turned out that the it was rather inefficient, when trying to apply solutions for 100,000 issues. I think I fixed this issue and the process of applying all solutions should not take more than 30s or so - on my system and with my testcase it was 8s for over 100,000 solutions. According to your logs each of the 100,000 solutions you tried to apply took roughly 20s (i.e. ~23 days for 100,000 solutions = absolutely unacceptable).

However, this is only the part where you say, "Hey - please apply the following solution". Then you still have to click on "Commit" and only then the solutions are actually executed. This can still take some time, but you should see a progress bar.

Could you please try out the fixed version? It's available at http://www.beatunes.com/download/beaTunes-2-1-15-SNAPSHOT-jre-win.exe

Also, after you tried it, could you please let me know, if this improved the situation? I'd also love to see fresh logs, to get some first hand information from an actual system for this case, since very few people have this many songs and even less find this many issues.

Thank you,

-hendrik

24. 24 Posted by montepaulsen on 15 Nov, 2010 05:15 PM

I am running the program with the new version. Still "inspecting library". Waiting to see what happens.

I don't suppose you've considered an option to fix the issue where iTunes duplicated all the files, so now I have 2 or 3 versions of every song, the duplicates having a 1 or 2 at the end. It seems to me to be an easy thing to find all these, eliminate them, then go on to addressing things like same song on different albums, or different bitrates. All the other things like looking up PUICs and things like that would go much quicker, once that issue were dealt with.

It appears that a lot of people have the same problem as I do, and they are all looking for a solution.

Meanwhile, I'll let you know how the current version you came up with is working. When I send you the logs, which file did you want? I sent you a bunch of them, and I'm guessing you only need one of them.

Monte

25. Support Staff 25 Posted by hendrik on 15 Nov, 2010 05:46 PM

Hi Monte,

the problem with the 1or 2 at the end is, that many songs actually have 1 or 2 at the end, because they are named like that, not because they are duplicates. It becomes hard to distinguish between the two cases. This is why I'm very hesitant to go down that route. beaTunes 3 will improve duplicate detection, i.e. also reporting cases with similar names. This could fall under the same heading.

I really only need beaTunes.log and system-error.log - however, because in your case with so many dupes, it might be a good idea to have all the log files. They compress really well, so simply zipping the whole logs folder would be ideal. You can do so by right-clicking on the folder and choosing 'Send To' 'Compressed (zipped) Folder'.

-hendrik

26. 26 Posted by montepaulsen on 15 Nov, 2010 06:16 PM

Ahhhhh... but there are not many songs that have one version with the same exact filename, and another version with that name and a 1 after it. I would think there would be an easy compare function, such as this occurrence within the same folder, or same PUIC, or same length or file size. Right now I'd be happy to lose a hundred legitimate songs that happen to end with a 1, in order to get rid of the 50,000 or so that are true duplicates.

But perhaps I am in the minority here.

Will let you know how the current solution works when I get back to my computer later on.

Monte

27. Support Staff 27 Posted by hendrik on 16 Nov, 2010 12:24 PM

Hey Monte!

Some of the stuff you suggest is already coded up in beaTunes 3 :-)
    Did you get to see the progress bar, committing your solutions now?

-hendrik

28. 28 Posted by montepaulsen on 18 Nov, 2010 05:39 AM

I think it's halfway there. I tried it twice, and both times it stopped. I
    think the logs indicate a java memory error or something.

The first time I ran it, I was multitasking, so I wondered if I was using up
    virtual memory by doing so. The second time I ran it I wasn't running other
    programs.

Monte

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 4:24 AM, hendrik <
    [email blocked]<tender%[email blocked]>
    > wrote:

29. Support Staff 29 Posted by hendrik on 18 Nov, 2010 06:42 AM

Hi Monte,

it's not other programs - it's beaTunes itself. I'll look into this and get back to you.

-hendrik

30. 30 Posted by montepaulsen on 18 Nov, 2010 07:27 AM

Dude! Do you ever sleep?

Thanks for checking into it. Can I nominate you to take over customer service for Microsoft?

Thanks. Let me know what you come up with.

Monte

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Screen_shot_2009-12-25_at_4.08.44_PM.png 19.5 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac