Failed to Find Lyrics, Failed to Fetch Tags (read timeout), Java.net SocketException (Broken Pipe)

awoell

27 Feb, 2019 12:26 AM

I'm at my wit's end. I don't understand why all of these failures are occurring. BeaTunes fails to properly find lyrics for songs that should be readily available. Many popular songs cannot fetch tags. With all of these errors, I'm almost thinking it's a network issue, rather than a BeaTunes issue, but my network works just fine for everything else. Please help. I have 150,000 songs to go...

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 27 Feb, 2019 07:21 AM

The error messages you quote indicate a network error, but without logs I can't say anything definitive.

2. 2 Posted by awoell on 27 Feb, 2019 03:03 PM

I’ll attach logs in a bit, but I’m somewhat concerned because after analyzing my library, random tracks went missing in my iTunes library. I thought it might have something to do with the tags being changed, therefore iTunes couldn’t find the original tracks. But upon inspecting the iTunes folder trees, I found that the tracks were flat out gone. Maybe 100-200 random tracks are gone. What’s weird is that maybe tracks 1-4 are there, 5 is missing, 6-9 are there, and then 10-11 are gone. It’s very strange and i just cannot account for the missing tracks. I obviously never manually deleted them from iTunes, and iTunes tracks just don’t disappear, so the only variable I see is BeaTunes. I’m wondering if this could happen if it’s attempting to write tags to a file and that fails, perhaps corrupting and deleting the file, but they aren’t even in the trash. Does anyone know what is going on?

3. 3 Posted by awoell on 27 Feb, 2019 05:53 PM

Logs have been uploaded

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by hendrik on 27 Feb, 2019 06:35 PM

BeaTunes fails to properly find lyrics for songs that should be readily available.

beaTunes ability to fetch lyrics is a glorified web search, which does not always succeed. This is why it is not advertised as a main feature.

Many popular songs cannot fetch tags.

Tags are fetched from Last.fm. According to your logs, you experienced read time outs. This happens when the Last.fm server does not react within a certain time limit. So this could be caused by a bad connection or simply a high load on the Last.fm servers. Perhaps reducing the number of parallel analysis tasks (beaTunes setting) is a good idea.

Regarding disappeared tracks, without any more hints there is little I can do. I looked through your logs, but wasn't able to find anything obvious. Sorry.

5. 5 Posted by awoell on 27 Feb, 2019 06:46 PM

Thanks for looking into it. I’m gonna try on another connection and reduce the amount of parallel tasks. I backed up my library prior to analyizing the songs, but of course my dog knocked the backup drive off the counter, causing the drive to mechanically fail. I’m taking stock of the missing songs right now, but can’t think of any logical explanation as to how tracks could simply disappear.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by hendrik on 27 Feb, 2019 06:47 PM

If you can provide me with more details info (like names), I might be able to find something. But definitely create a new backup, if you're suspecting beaTunes is the culprit!

7. 7 Posted by awoell on 27 Feb, 2019 06:56 PM

Some of the tracks include Beach House’s self-titled album, “Saltwater” “Auburn and Ivory” “House on a Hill” among other tracks from the album. Ariel Pink’s album “Doldrums” is missing half the tracks. Many albums from Thievery Corporation were missing many tracks as well. Missing track 9 from Toro y Moi’s album “Boo-Boo.” There are many others, but this might give us a start.

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by hendrik on 02 Mar, 2019 09:36 AM

Hey,

I have searched your logs for those artists, but wasn't able to find anything. These are rolling logs, i.e. they contain only the last X events.

-hendrik

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac