BPM not always calculating

Richard

26 Nov, 2018 02:41 AM

Hello Hendrik,

I've been having a problem for the past few weeks. When I add new tracks (synchronize to pick up the new tracks, then analyze to derive the fingerprint and calculate BPM), it is kind of hit or miss if the BPM actually gets assigned. I'm estimating it "misses" about 20% of the new tracks. If I then go back to the library and manually queue the missing BPM tracks to be analyzed again, it will calculate and assign the values as it should. When I reanalyze, I turn off the fingerprint analysis, figuring that doesn't need to be done again. Needless to say, this problem is an annoyance. FYI, I'm not talking about huge numbers of new tracks at a time. Sometimes just a dozen or two. Sometimes 100 or more, which for me isn't that many.

By the way, thanks for the 1/2 star rating increment. Much appreciated.

Richard

1. 1 Posted by Richard on 26 Nov, 2018 02:52 AM

I forgot to include this in the above message:
    I'm running a folder-based library.
    I have 361923 tracks on a single internal HDD.
    I'm on beaTunes 5.1.11-snapshot, built on Oct 11 2018
    JVM: JavaHotSpot 64-bit server VM Verison 1.8.0_181 (25.181-b13)
    Memory: 92m-4096m, currently 1931m (47%) which fluctuates as you know

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by hendrik on 26 Nov, 2018 01:39 PM

What are the exact options for BPM and Fingerprint analysis?

Thanks.

3. 3 Posted by Richard on 26 Nov, 2018 03:27 PM

When I analyze a group of new tracks, for fingerprints, both the boxes are checked ("Take fingerprint" and "Submit fingerprint"). For BPM, only the "Estimate BPM" box is checked, and the Range is "Automatic". Also, no other Analysis boxes are checked (no "danceability", no "mood", etc.).

When I re-analyze a group of tracks that didn't get a BPM value written to them, the only difference is I uncheck the "Take fingerprint" box. Every time I've done this so far, every track that didn't get a BPM the first time around, gets one the second time around.
    And these are, definitely, tracks that were subjected to analysis the first time. Typically, I'll download one or more CDs worth of tunes, scan them into my other player's database, (sometimes) clean up the tags there to my satisfaction*, (usually) run a Replay Gain analysis there on the new tracks**, scan the tracks into beaTunes for the first time, skip the "Inspect" step, and do the Analyze step with the options as described above. When the analysis is done [and there is virtually never an error], I go back into my other player, rescan the music folders to bring in the BPM values. That is when I see that some tracks got a BPM added and some didn't. Then I go back into beaTunes and see, yes, those same tracks don't have a BPM in beaTunes for whatever reason. Then I re-analyze the selected tracks as described above.

These are almost always mp3 files. In fact, I think every file I've had this problem with is mp3. I seldom deal with other music file types (m4a, flac, ogg, ape, etc).

Thanks!

*- Sometimes I clean up the tags before the initial scan. "Clean up" to me means fixing or adding the song title, artist name, album artist name, album name, track number, year, composer, and genre. Sometimes it gets done much later. Sometimes (often) it gets done in pieces. Tag clean-up/enhancement is a never-ending process, it seems.

**- I know beaTunes can do the Replay Gain analysis also. For consistency, I always do the volume analysis in my other player (MediaMonkey) because I've used that same player for years. That player, however, doesn't have a BPM analysis module, nor does it have some of the other great beaTunes features. Yes, it does take some self-discipline to make sure the two apps don't mess things up for each other or in the underlying tracks themselves. I believe I am duly careful.

To: [email blocked]
     Sent: Monday, November 26, 2018 7:39 AM
     Subject: Re: BPM not always calculating [Problems #48802]

#yiv2153568655 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv2153568655 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac