tunes on an album are "scrambled"

Richard

13 Aug, 2018 12:05 PM

I have an album that beaTunes has "scrambled". the album is "Paper Empire" by Better Than Ezra. I've attached a screen cap.

#1 - It has the times wrong for all the tracks. It shows 4:00 for Black Light when it is really 3:32. All the other tracks show in excess of 27:00 when the actual times range from 3:03 to 4:46.

#2 - It has misidentified the tracks (which is why I say "scrambled"). The track that beaTunes thinks is track #8 "Hey Love" is really track 12 "I Just Knew". (In other words, when you play what beaTunes thinks is track 8, it's actually playing track 12.) There may be other misidentifications, I didn't listen to every track. I know the quick answer would be that the metadata is messed up in the track, but it isn't. The exact same tracks display properly in MediaMonkey, which also uses metadata. (Screen cap attached.)

The file info for Hey Love is correct. (It points to the right file.) But when you play it in beaTunes, it plays a different track from the same album.

Just to double check, I went to the files in question in Windows file explorer, right-clicked and played them in VLC Media Player. VLC agrees with MediaMonkey. Track 8 plays as track 8, track 12 plays as track 12.

beaTunes 5.1.8, Win 8.1, folder-based library, these are mp3 files

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 13 Aug, 2018 04:14 PM

Can you reproduce this issue after you have restarted beaTunes?

2. 2 Posted by Richard on 13 Aug, 2018 04:19 PM

Yes. Everything is as I described, even after a beaTunes restart (multiple restarts, actually).

To: [email blocked]
     Sent: Monday, August 13, 2018 11:14 AM
     Subject: Re: tunes on an album are "scrambled" [Problems #48154]

#yiv7167485547 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv7167485547 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 13 Aug, 2018 04:29 PM

Odd.

Could you copy that "Hey Love" track into a separate folder, create a library based just on that folder and report what beaTunes shows? If it shows the same value (i.e. duration), could you please send me that file so that I can look into why beaTunes is showing the wrong time?

Thank you!

4. 4 Posted by Richard on 13 Aug, 2018 04:59 PM

I did as you asked. The duration still shows 37:30. I am attaching the mp3 file. When I play the song in the new 1-song beaTunes library, it is playing the correct song.

I know the track is encoded at a variable bit rate, but that's not unusual. The majority of my tracks are VBR.

Sent: Monday, August 13, 2018 11:29 AM

#yiv7145353968 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv7145353968 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by hendrik on 15 Aug, 2018 02:22 PM

Thanks for the sample.

The file uses "Joint Stereo" for channel coding. Is it possible that that's the problem? I.e. do all your scrambled files use "Joint Stereo"?

6. 6 Posted by Richard on 15 Aug, 2018 02:58 PM

I'm not sure how to determine if a particular mp3 file I have is encoded "joint stereo" vs the alternative of encoding each channel distinctly within the mp3 file. I looked at several apps I have and none reports that distinction. So to answer your specific question, I don't know, but it is very likely they all were encoded the same way..
    However, I do know that many if not most of my mp3 files are encoded as joint stereo. I use an app called XRecode 3 to do some of my conversions to mp3. It uses the LAME encoder to do its work. I have XRecode set to encode as joint stereo by default. So if "joint stereo" was the culprit, I would see a problem with lots of files, not just a handful. Plus, I would think most of your other users' files are encoded the same way.

Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2018 9:22 AM

#yiv7090494035 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv7090494035 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by hendrik on 18 Aug, 2018 08:16 PM

Hey Richard,

I had a chance to look some more into this.

The file you sent is VBR encoded, but seems to be missing both a Xing and a Vbri frame. This means that to find out how long the file is in minutes and seconds, a player has to read through the whole file or at least through a good number of frames.

beaTunes uses the library JAudioTagger to parse MP3. This library assumes that the file is CBR encoded, if neither Xing nor Vbri frame are present. This is actually not such a bad assumption as they both have been around for a long time. A well behaved encoder should add such a frame to make things easy for audio players.

If I find the time, I will try to contribute a patch to JAudioTagger in order to better deal with files like this, but cannot make any promises.

Cheers,

-hendrik

8. 8 Posted by Richard on 19 Aug, 2018 10:18 PM

Thank you, hendrik. These files were obviously poorly encoded, or they were encoded a long time ago. I don't know which. I doubt there are many examples of this type of deficiency among files in the wild. It's nice that you were able to identify the cause of the problem.

Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2018 3:17 PM

#yiv5719361351 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv5719361351 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by hendrik on 19 Aug, 2018 11:38 PM

It's nice that you were able to identify the cause of the problem.

Yeah. I just wished the problem wasn't there to begin with!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• beatunes_-_ezra_1.png 37.3 KB
  • beatunes_-_ezra_2_(MM).png 27.5 KB
  • beatunes_-_ezra_3_(file_info).png 17.1 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac