File Properties > "Failed to find file"

Richard

07 Aug, 2018 04:55 PM

I'm having a few problems with beaTunes 5.1.8 and decided to open a new discussion just to keep things focused on one issue at a time. I'm on Win 8.1.

I created a new library so that beaTunes would be able to manage and access a big chunk of my music collection. (There is another much bigger chunk that I haven't gotten to yet. One step at a time!)

This parent folder contains 87080 "items" (in beaTunes parlance) , almost all of which are mp3 files. It took about 30 minutes for beaTunes to do the initial synchronization. All the above is just for background info.

When I try to look at the File Properties of a selected music track, I get a little dialog box that says "Error: Failed to find file." That happens on every file I've tried. The files exist. beaTunes can play them. If I do "Show Song File", it opens up a File Explorer window with the track highlighted. If I do "Get Info", it slides over the info window for that track. (A separate problem is that I can't figure how to return to the whole library listing without clicking on another status bar tab [like "Inspection"] and then clicking back on the Library tab. There's no "back" function once you go into the "song info" display?)

I'm attaching a screen cap: The selected file with the Error dialog box, which pops up when I click on File Properties.

So, that's one of my problems at the moment.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 07 Aug, 2018 05:29 PM

Richard,

One discussion per topic—great! :-)

Regarding getting out of Get Info: increase the application window size. At the bottom of the panel buttons should appear. One of them is "Cancel".

Regarding the File Properties: please reproduce the issue and then upload your logs via the Help menu.

Thanks,

-hendrik

2. 2 Posted by Richard on 08 Aug, 2018 04:26 AM

Hendrick,
    Thank you on the tip for getting out of the Get Info screen. There was no visual indication that there were controls beyond the bottom of the app window. Now that I made the window a little bigger, I see them. Thanks again.
    I opened beaTunes, reproduced the "Failed to find file" problem, and uploaded the logs to you just now.
    I probably should have mentioned earlier: I'm a supporter of beaTunes. I hope it doesn't sound like I am carping when I find an issue. It's a very powerful app. I'm trying very carefully to understand all of its ins and outs. If I encounter something that i don't understand, I'll ask. And if I encounter something that seems wrong, I'll report it.
    Thanks for the support.
    Richard

To: [email blocked]
     Sent: Tuesday, August 7, 2018 12:29 PM
     Subject: Re: File Properties > "Failed to find file" [Problems #48140]

#yiv3167675489 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv3167675489 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 08 Aug, 2018 03:45 PM

Hey Richard,

I probably should have mentioned earlier: I'm a supporter of beaTunes. I hope it doesn't sound like I am carping when I find an issue.

Not at all. That's how bugs get fixed!

I believe the file properties issue may be a permissions problem. When you click on File Properties, beaTunes executes a little script that causes the OS to show the desired dialog. This seems to fail for you.

Let's try something!

I have attached a zip file with a similar script. Please download the file and unzip it. You should find a file called showProperties.js. Open a command prompt and navigate to where you placed the file. E.g. if you have placed the file in c:\, run the program cmd.exe and then type cd c:\ to navigate to c:\. Then enter this line:

cscript.exe showProperties.js showProperties.js

This should show you the properties dialog of the script file. If something else happens, like error messages on the command prompt, please copy and paste here.

Thanks!

-hendrik

4. 4 Posted by Richard on 08 Aug, 2018 04:57 PM

I did as you instructed.
    It returns this error message:>>>
    Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Input Error: There is no script engine for file extension ".js".
    <<<
    That seemed significant, so I typed ASSOC to see what ".js" was associated with (if anything). It isn't associated with anything.

Then I did a little googling and saw some discussions about Javascript files being sent in e-mails as a vector for the introduction of malware onto PCs (when someone rashly clicks on them). So it is possible I might have disassociated the .js extension some time ago (years, either knowingly or unknowingly, and forgotten I did that) as a security precaution. Ransomware was (and still is) a big thing and I wanted to protect myself against it. The files I have on my PC represent many thousands of hours of work. I want to protect that enormous time investment.

Then I looked to see how many other .js files I have on my PC. There are over 4000, and they mostly (or all) obviously have to do with various apps I have installed on my PC. The point here is that none of those other apps throw error messages that would lead me to believe that they can't make use of their own js files. (Actually, looking closer, a lot of them seem to be a part of a browser, but not all of them are - for example, Quicken, H&R Block (a mainstream tax preparation software package), Avast AV, Skype, etc.)
    I googled to see how I could reassociate .js with its script engine. I found this link ( https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/error-there-is-no-script-engine-for-file-extension-when-running-js-files/ ) and could do that if need be (extract and run the jscript_fix.reg file to add keys to the registry). I could also just type ASSOC .js=jsfile , if that's all I had to do.
    So what do you think? I could associate .js files with the script engine, but I'm kind of reluctant to do that. I could just live with the beaTunes error on Show Properties - but lack of an association might cause other problems with beaTunes with which I am not aware. (I have encountered other issues I haven't written about yet.) Or would it be possible for beaTunes to be able to run its own js files like some other apps seem to be able to do without throwing an error, even without the association? Just asking.
    Thanks for your time.
    Richard

To: [email blocked]
     Sent: Wednesday, August 8, 2018 10:45 AM
     Subject: Re: File Properties > "Failed to find file" [Problems #48140]

#yiv1305277519 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv1305277519 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by hendrik on 09 Aug, 2018 02:17 AM

File Properties is the only thing beaTunes uses a .js-script for. It's certainly not essential, so just leaving JS disabled is definitely an option.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• beaTunes_-_Failed_to_find_file_2.png 43.4 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac