Aborted synchronization

Steve

18 Jan, 2018 09:50 PM

2. Please enter your message to us here.

I'm trying to synchronize with iTunes but the process keeps getting aborted, leaving me with the message "Failed to update PODCAST."

Frankly, I don't even *want* BeaTunes to do *anything* with my podcasts--I just want it to handle my music--and I've tried excluding them where possible.

But mainly I'd just like to get everything synchronized without getting an error message and would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks.

* beaTunes: 5.1.0
* JVM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM
* Version: 25.152-b6
* Vendor: JetBrains s.r.o
* Library: iTunes
* Memory: 92m - 3072m
* Registered as: Steve Sargent

1. 1 Posted by Steve on 18 Jan, 2018 09:56 PM

Also, the version of iTunes that I am running is 12.7.2.58

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by hendrik on 18 Jan, 2018 10:18 PM

Hey Steve,

Is it possible you have 34,340 podcasts in your collection?

-hendrik

3. 3 Posted by Steve on 19 Jan, 2018 06:08 PM

Well, I have gotten behind on a few of them... 樂



According to iTunes the number isn't quite that high but still it's a very large number (maybe more like 28,426), which is why I've tried to exclude them from all the BeaTunes analyses, etc. (In fact, iTunes itself really slows down when I click over to podcasts...).

So how can I avoid this sort of error in the future?

I tried expanding the amount of RAM the program is allowed to 5Gigs (which is a lot, I know, since I only have 8 Gigs total), but the error still popped up. (I've also since reduced the RAM allotment back to 3 Gigs).

Thanks for your help, Hendrik!

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by hendrik on 19 Jan, 2018 06:21 PM

Hey Steve,

can you please try the latest dev snapshot: https://www.beatunes.com/download/beaTunes-5-1-1-SNAPSHOT.dmg

Does it perhaps fix the issue (it's a timeout, shouldn't be memory related)?

Thanks,

-hendrik

5. 5 Posted by Steve on 19 Jan, 2018 07:18 PM

Thanks, Hendrik, I will try out the Dev snapshot as soon as I can.

So why is my podcast library even an issue? I've tried excluding it where possible.

Also, when I would open up BeaTunes 5, I would be told that my library was last synchronized January 9th--do you know why it would synchronize on the 9th and not later in the month (I can't imagine my library has grown that much in only a couple of weeks...).

Thanks again,
    Steve

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by hendrik on 20 Jan, 2018 09:50 AM

Thanks, Hendrik, I will try out the Dev snapshot as soon as I can.

Actually... I have just looked into the issue a little more and posted a new snapshot. Same URL as the snapshot before. If you haven't downloaded yet, no worries. If you did, you might want to download that lastest version.

So why is my podcast library even an issue? I've tried excluding it where possible.

Synchronization with iTunes always means that beaTunes tries to reflect exactly what's in iTunes. And that includes your podcasts.

Also, when I would open up BeaTunes 5, I would be told that my library was last synchronized January 9th--do you know why it would synchronize on the 9th and not later in the month (I can't imagine my library has grown that much in only a couple of weeks...).

No idea. Perhaps something else is wrong. But:

In that first snapshot, I have merely increased a timeout for code that took pretty long. In the last snapshot I have actually looked at why that code took so long and believe I managed to remove the bottleneck. This means, your library's synchronization with iTunes should be a couple of minutes quicker now.

Cheers,

-hendrik

7. 7 Posted by Steve on 22 Jan, 2018 05:53 PM

Thanks again, Hendrik--I'm downloading the new snapshot right now.

For what it's worth, I did recently attempt to synchronize my database via the previous BeaTunes dev snapshot but the synchronization failed again.

It also seems to take a long time for BeaTunes to shut down--not sure what that's about. In fact, when I first downloaded BeaTunes earlier this month (back when I did successfully synchronize my database) I didn't have a problem shutting the application down but now it almost seems frozen (Note: my computer doesn't say that the application is not responding but, after 30 minutes or so I end up forcing it to quit). Any ideas for what the problem could be? Do you think it's related to the failed synchronization?

-Steve

8. 8 Posted by Steve on 22 Jan, 2018 06:19 PM

Hendrik,

I just received two additional errors that I haven't seen before...

Not sure how I should proceed.

9. 9 Posted by Steve on 22 Jan, 2018 06:30 PM

Quick side note: After receiving that second notification (and not knowing which one to pick) I opted to shut down BeaTunes altogether, which actually worked quite quickly this time...

Just throwing that out there.

-Steve

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by hendrik on 22 Jan, 2018 07:13 PM

This sounds a lot like something is wrong with the internal database. You have no option, but to re-build it. If it's not offered by beaTunes again, you can initiate the process manually via the Tools menu (once beaTunes is running).

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Screen_Shot_2018-01-18_at_4.23.53_PM.png 30.7 KB
  • beaTunes-logs-2018-01-18-164225.zip 4.28 MB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac