Library or Music?

Mickey Tee

22 Dec, 2017 04:25 AM

I had BeaTunes working nicely.

Then I recalled a song I wanted to hear and did a search. BeaTunes could NOT find it. I knew I had the tune so went back to iTunes and sure enough... there the song was. I couldn't understand why BeaTunes couldn't see it, which led me to suspect that perhaps my iTunes Library is corrupt?.. Or, at least, music was filed in different places? I've been through a lot of installs and actually thought I'd had this 'cracked' by using Song Seargent to sort iTunes out. But apparently not...

So I changed my Library to 'File System' and bingo... ALL of my media seemed to come up.

But now, BeaTunes does not correlate music... I can't create song lists based on seeded songs? I get a error message. When I try to create a Matchlist, I get, "beaTunes was not able to find any matching songs..." even though all of my media is right there... 13,000 songs according to my 'Music' Library. But beaTunes can't make a Matchlist?

Is anyone able to explain what I'm doing wrong please? Or, if there is a way to fix this?

Cheers,
Mick

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 22 Dec, 2017 07:59 AM

Hey Mick,

if you are using iTunes at all, it's highly recommend you use an iTunes-based collection in beaTunes. If you cannot find a song in beaTunes. perhaps it's because it is out of sync. Which basically means you have to synchronize via File -> Synchronize.

Regarding creating matchlists: This depends a lot on your settings. Can you send a screenshot of the match rule set that you are using?

Thanks,

-hendrik

2. 2 Posted by Mickey Tee on 23 Dec, 2017 10:51 AM

Hi Hendrik,

I think there is something wrong with my iTunes Library?

I think the song filing system is ‘out’…

Here are the screen shots… I’m using the ‘File’ System:

This is what happens when I try to create a new Matchlist…

3. 3 Posted by Mickey Tee on 23 Dec, 2017 11:10 AM

I ‘think’ I might know what is happening??

This is the song count when using iTunes…

But when I use the ‘file’ system, I see a lot more tracks.

I think it’s the compilations?? I don’t think beaTunes is seeing my compilations when sync’ed to iTunes??

Mick

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by hendrik on 23 Dec, 2017 11:25 AM

Hey Mick,

the screenshot shows that you are using the match rule set Default. That rule set is defined in the preferences, see http://blog.beatunes.com/2015/02/creating-great-playlists.html ("Song Matching"). If the Default rule set contains rules about BPM, key, etc. but you haven't computed those values, it won't match anything. Did you ever run a full analysis? I.e. do you have values like BPM, key, mood, etc. set in all your songs?

Also: You have the match quality set to 50%. Have you tried lowering this?

I think it’s the compilations?? I don’t think beaTunes is seeing my compilations when sync’ed to iTunes??

No, I don't think so.
    Have you tried to synchronize the iTunes based collection?

Cheers,

-hendrik

5. 5 Posted by Mickey Tee on 23 Dec, 2017 11:35 AM

Hi Hendrik,

I just switched back to the iTunes Library.

Yes, I tried synchronization…

This is the song beaTunes can NOT find…

beaTunes doesn’t see any of my compilations!!…

Yes, when using the ‘file’ system I did a analysis…

I haven’t tried lowering the %, but I will.

Please understand… when I was using the iTunes Library… those settings worked fine. I was able to create Matchlists. It’s only since changing over to the ‘file’ based system, I can’t create Matchlists.

Mick

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by hendrik on 23 Dec, 2017 11:39 AM

This is the song beaTunes can NOT find…

I can see it's in your file system, but is it in iTunes?
    And it does not show up in beaTunes after you ran synchronize?

Does iTunes export its XML file? Can you check the age of that XML file using Finder. Is it current? It shouldn't be older than the last time you played a song in iTunes.

7. 7 Posted by Mickey Tee on 04 Jan, 2018 09:08 AM

Hi Hendrik,

Happy New Year…

I’m still having problems with this.

Yes, the song is in iTunes:

It’s called “I am Pegasus”… displayed here. None of these songs from this compilation album are visible in BeaTunes!!

Yes, I ran synchronize. It does NOT show up after that.

The XML file…

I don’t know how to ‘check’ if iTunes is ‘exporting’ this file? What do you mean?

The age of it is shown.

I’m getting very annoyed at this problem. A great deal of my songs do not appear in BeaTunes. It’s pointless…

Regards,
    Mick
    Thursday, 4 January 2018

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by hendrik on 04 Jan, 2018 09:28 AM

Hey Mick,

I cannot tell from your screenshot: Do you have a file called iTunes Library.xml (without the Music part)?

If you don't have a iTunes Library.xml file, please open the iTunes preferences, go to the Advanced tab and make sure that Share iTunes Library XML with other applications is turned on. Once it's on, you should see a iTunes Library.xml file. For more info see here.

Now, which file is larger? iTunes Library.xml or iTunes Music Library.xml?

My guess is, that iTunes Library.xml is larger. Background: Apple has moved away from iTunes Music Library.xml towards iTunes Library.xml. The file iTunes Music Library.xml is probably just a leftover from quite a while ago, representing an old state of your iTunes library with a few files missing.

Please check in the beaTunes general preferences: Which of the two files is used? What if you use the other one? You can switch by creating a new iTunes collection and selecting the other ....xml file.

Hope this helps,

-hendrik

9. 9 Posted by Mickey Tee on 04 Jan, 2018 10:42 AM

Hi Hendrik,

No, it appears that I do not have a file called iTunes Library.xml

This is my iTunes folder.

Also, in iTunes, I already have that ‘share’ button on:

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by hendrik on 04 Jan, 2018 11:33 AM

Hey Mick,

iTunes keeps its data in files ending with .itl or .itdb (see also https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201610). In your case, those files are named iTunes Library..., which leads me to believe that's what iTunes is using.

Those iTunes Music Library... files are probably just leftovers.

Which means that iTunes isn't properly exporting its data as XML, because there should be an iTunes Library.xml file for beaTunes to read.

Let's try to confirm this:

• Shut down both iTunes and beaTunes
    • Delete all those iTunes... files in your iTunes directory that have xml in their name (you shouldn't need to restore those files, but if you want t make sure you can, just move them to another folder instead of deleting them). Be very careful not to delete any other files, especially not the .itl or .itdb files!!
    • Start iTunes and play a song

Now iTunes should have exported a new XML file. Can you see that file? If there's no new XML file, something with iTunes is wrong.

Thanks!

-hendrik

PS: If you send another screenshot, please make sure to use a Finder view that lists details, such as Date Modified and Size.

11. 11 Posted by Mickey Tee on 04 Jan, 2018 11:39 AM

Thanks Hendrik,

Followed your instructions.

This created another iTunes Music Library.xml file:

12. Support Staff 12 Posted by hendrik on 04 Jan, 2018 11:48 AM

Ok—I have to admit, that surprises me.
    Now please start beaTunes and open then general preferences. Which XML file are you using?
    When you synchronize (in beaTunes via File -> Synchronize), do the missing songs appear? After synchronization, please upload your logs via Help -> Upload Logs. Perhaps there is something in there that explains this...
    Which file format are your missing songs in? MP3?

13. 13 Posted by Mickey Tee on 04 Jan, 2018 12:01 PM

ok, I have uploaded the log file.

I followed your instructions.

On re-load, it appears that BeaTunes is using the same file as in my folder.

The song does not show up, even after synchronization.

The song is an mpeg file:

14. Support Staff 14 Posted by hendrik on 04 Jan, 2018 12:14 PM

According to the log, when you are searching in beaTunes, you are only searching in the Artist field.

Can you still reproduce the issue, when you set the field filter to All, as shown in the attached screenshot? To get to the popup, just click on the magnifying glass.

15. 15 Posted by Mickey Tee on 04 Jan, 2018 12:28 PM

O.M.G….. is that all it was?…

Yes, I found the file!!! hahahaha…. Rookie mistake, sorry.

16. Support Staff 16 Posted by hendrik on 04 Jan, 2018 12:39 PM

Yes, I found the file!!! hahahaha…. Rookie mistake, sorry.

No problem. Happens!
    And admittedly, it's not obvious.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac