beatunes 5 with iTunes 12.2.0.145

samirdavies

11 Oct, 2017 01:46 PM

I recently re-installed W10, and decided to finally check out beatunes 5, as well as the latest version of iTunes (12.6) when I restored my backed up plump iTunes library.

Unfortunately, iTunes 12.6 does not meet my needs because of the way it auto handles ratings (grey stars), and how it disables the previous work around of altering album rating (to get rid of grey stars). It goes without saying that grey stars completely change smart playlists that are ratings based. I uninstalled 12.6, deleted my 12.6 updated library, installed 12.2, and restored my 12.2 backed up library. I am a much happier camper (I'd be happier if I could use even older versions of iTunes, but was forced to upgrade to 12.2 because of my iPod nano). This is the only apple device that I use, so there is no burning need to go higher.

Beatunes 5 issued multiple warnings that it did not like my iTunes version choice, insisting that it works best with 12.6.0.
For the reasons stated, this is somewhat of a deal breaker for me.

My question is - what problems (or loss of functionality) should I expect if I were to keep using 12.2 with beatunes 5?

Ultimately, I'm trying to decide if I should simply stick with beatunes 4.

1. 1 Posted by samirdavies on 11 Oct, 2017 01:48 PM

2. 2 Posted by samirdavies on 11 Oct, 2017 02:05 PM

This discussion offers more details and workarounds:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7994502?start=0&tstart=0

Let me add - as someone who is red-green colour blind, the experience of having different shades of stars is pretty much a visual nightmare. I much prefer white background for not rated songs.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 12 Oct, 2017 10:43 AM

what problems (or loss of functionality) should I expect if I were to keep using 12.2 with beatunes 5?

iTunes 12.6 and 12.7 offer a couple more fields. Like "Like/Dislike" playlist description, movement, work, etc. None of these are supported by 12.4.

Also, the behavior of grouping/work has changed and is a bit confusing.

Ultimately, I'm trying to decide if I should simply stick with beatunes 4.

If you decide you want to try it out and then go back, see http://help.beatunes.com/kb/troubleshooting/downgrade-from-beatunes...

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac