Faulty inspection; Beatunes assigned the wrong artist to 839 songs in my library

Joe Robinson

23 Sep, 2017 07:53 PM

1. If you experienced a crash or other abnormal behavior, please attach the log file 'beaTunes-logs-2017-09-23-124403.zip' by dragging it from your desktop onto the 'Attach File' button below.

2. Please enter your message to us here. While performing inspection, BeaTunes found the following error: Spelling Issues>Misspelled Spellings for Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown.

The problem I have is that -
1) BeaTunes assigned the wrong artist to 839 songs in my library. I do have several albums by Gatemouth but MANY of the songs that BeaTunes says are his are not - the ARTIST field has been incorrectly entered.

This error is NOT in my ITunes directory. ITunes library is correct.

HOW DO I CHANGE THE ARTIST FIELD OF EACH SONG BACK TO THE CORRECT ARTIST? UNFORTUNATELY, I WILL HAVE TO DO THIS BY HAND AS THERE IS NO WAY THAT YOUR DATABASE CAN IDENTIFY THE ERRORS AND I WILL HAVE TO DO IT.

WHAT ARE THE STEPS TO CHANGE THE ARTIST INFO AND SAVE IT? i HAVE ATTEMPTED TO RIGHT-CLICK A FEW SONGS AND CHANGE THE FIELD CONTENTS BUT THERE IS NO OPTION TO SAVE IT.

AT THIS POINT I AM TOTALLY DISAPPOINTED I PURCHASED THIS PROGRAM. I HAVE OVER 20 YEARS I.T. EXPERIENCE AS A SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR AND NEED ASSISTANCE TO CORRECT THE DATA THAT BEATUNES MESSED UP!

* beaTunes: 5.0.4
* JVM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
* Version: 25.131-b11
* Vendor: Oracle Corporation
* Library: FileSystem
* Memory: 92m - 1024m
* Registered as: Brenda Tolon

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 24 Sep, 2017 11:08 AM

AT THIS POINT I AM TOTALLY DISAPPOINTED I PURCHASED THIS PROGRAM. I HAVE OVER 20 YEARS I.T. EXPERIENCE AS A SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR AND NEED ASSISTANCE TO CORRECT THE DATA THAT BEATUNES MESSED UP!

I'm sorry this turned out to be such a mess for you. It totally sucks, when metadata is screwed up. You absolutely have my sympathies and I would like to help you as best I can.

That said, as a professional you know that writing in all caps is the equivalent of yelling at someone. Frankly, I don't like to be yelled at. Please be polite.

the ARTIST field has been incorrectly entered.

This error is NOT in my ITunes directory. ITunes library is correct.

Does it stay correct, even after you played one of the changed songs in iTunes? Since you have chosen to use a folder-based library in beaTunes iTunes is not notified of any changes by beaTunes. This means that the files have been changed, but not the iTunes database.

WHAT ARE THE STEPS TO CHANGE THE ARTIST INFO AND SAVE IT? i HAVE ATTEMPTED TO RIGHT-CLICK A FEW SONGS AND CHANGE THE FIELD CONTENTS BUT THERE IS NO OPTION TO SAVE IT.

Changes are saved right away. There is no need to push a "save" button.

Since you are unhappy with the software, are you interested in a refund?

-hendrik

2. 2 Posted by Joe Robinson on 26 Sep, 2017 10:01 PM

Hello Hendrik,

First of all, I’m sorry for using all caps, I wasn’t thinking the caps thing through but with the reply interface from your web page I didn’t have an option for bold type and I was trying to capture your attention.

I had some success last night, and not sure how it happened/changed, but in the ‘get info’ screen, I PREVIOUSLY didn’t have an “OK/CANCEL” option (buttons) when I brought that screen up, and today when I looked at it, there it was! The reason I couldn’t get the changes I made to stay was that those 2 buttons weren’t appearing to confirm my changes. I had assumed that when that field lost focus that it was confirming those changes to the database. I was able to look at the results of the inspection, sort them by album name, and then select each of the songs from the particular album and click ‘OK’!

I’m glad that I figured this out, my frustration was that I DO want to use BeaTunes ☺ No refund wanted at this time.

I’ll see if I can identify what steps I did when those buttons weren’t there and let you know if I can figure out how I did it.

Joe

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 27 Sep, 2017 08:42 AM

Hey Joe,

I’m sorry for using all caps ... I was trying to capture your attention.

All good. Understood.

web page I didn’t have an option for bold type

You can switch the editor to Markdown mode, which allows bold and italics. But regardless, I try to read and respond to all messages posted in this forum.

I PREVIOUSLY didn’t have an “OK/CANCEL” option (buttons) when I brought that screen up

There is a resize bug that probably has caused this: Whenever the application window isn't big enough to show everything it should, some parts are simply cut off. So when you looked at the Get Info dialog, those buttons may have been cut off. This is a bug that needs work.

I’m glad that I figured this out, my frustration was that I DO want to use BeaTunes ☺ No refund wanted at this time.

Should you change your mind, please ask for a refund within 60 days of your purchase. See refund policy.

Cheers,

-hendrik

4. 4 Posted by Joe Robinson on 27 Sep, 2017 07:31 PM

Hi Hendrik,

Thanks for the follow up. I have managed to clear up a lot of the errors through changing the ‘Artist’ field in the ‘get info’ screen. So far, it seems that I can successfully edit the field when I do a multiple selection, but when I only select ONE record, the OK/Cancel field doesn’t appear, whether or not I have the screen maximized or not. I’ll take a look today at a couple of the audio files themselves, most all of my files are .mp3 but there are a handful of other types. I’ll validate in a bit if file type might factor into this.

Joe

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by hendrik on 28 Sep, 2017 07:32 AM

Hey Joe,

The missing buttons in the Get Info dialog are mysterious to me. What's your screen size in pixels? Any chance you can send a screenshot?

Thanks,

-hendrik

6. 6 Posted by Joe Robinson on 28 Sep, 2017 06:19 PM

Hi Hendrik,

I’m using 1680x1050 resolution; I’ll have to fire it up in a bit when I have some time and reproduce the error.

Joe

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by hendrik on 29 Sep, 2017 07:27 AM

when I have some time and reproduce the error.

Thanks!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac