Issue syncing AAC files

rwik

24 Jun, 2017 04:36 PM

After creating a new playlist in beaTunes, I go to iTunes and sync my device (this has happened on both iPod touch and iPad). At the very beginning of the synch I get an alert that says "(name of song) not synched because it cannot be played on this device". Sometimes it lists several songs with the same problem. I have discovered that if I get info on the individual song in iTunes and select the file tab, the song is always an AAC file, but not only purchased or protected ones. Once I look at the song in this way, if I re-sync, the song will sync normally. I encountered this behavior in beaTunes 4 then it seemed to go away. I am seeing it again doing the free trial with beaTunes 5 (I will buy the upgrade shortly) and the "problem" is recurring. Any idea what is causing it and how to fix it?

Mac OS 10.12.5, iTunes 12.6.1,

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 26 Jun, 2017 07:03 AM

Any idea what is causing it and how to fix it?

Unfortunately, I have no idea. We could perhaps start exploring this, if you sent me one of those files that isn't synching, perhaps I could find something odd. But without a more explanatory error message, this is like a needle in the haystack.

2. 2 Posted by rwik on 26 Jun, 2017 07:44 PM

The issue did not recur when I synced some new playlists this morning. When it does I will send a screenshot of the error message and one of the involved files.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 28 Jun, 2017 06:43 PM

Please do.

4. 4 Posted by rwik on 29 Jun, 2017 04:00 AM

Okay, here is a sample of what I am encountering. A copy of the error message I see and two sample files. Note: All of the files listed here were purchased from iTunes (but not protected). Also, all of my music has been analyzed by beaTunes for bpm, replay gain, color, key, and more recently for the new color. Both bpm and replay gain were set to replace old value.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by hendrik on 29 Jun, 2017 02:36 PM

Hm. I have taken the file, opened it in iTunes, opened get info, closed that again, but the file remained unchanged.

So right now this is a mystery to me!

What I did notice is that the file was processed by iVolume. But that does only mean that beaTunes wasn't the only one who touched the file.

6. 6 Posted by Balazs on 17 Sep, 2017 06:25 AM

I also have an issue with AAC files: I recently added ~4000 of them to iTunes but upon synch BeaTunes does not recognize that they are there. (I have the most recent version of both.) No such problem with newly added mp3s though.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by hendrik on 17 Sep, 2017 10:30 AM

@Balazs: the issue you are reporting does not seem to have anything to do with syncing files to an iOS device. Please start a new discussion.

Thanks.

8. 8 Posted by rwik on 19 Sep, 2017 04:27 PM

For what it's worth, this continues to be an issue for me. Although rarely more than a few songs each day and easily "fixed".

I have an idea what's going on. I create a new playlist everyday in beaTunes. I then assign it to a folder in iTunes that will be synched to my IOS devices. The last step is that I analyze the new playlist for BPM and Track Replay Gain. Only BPM is set to be overwritten. I notice that the songs that won't synch to the IOS device are only the AAC or Apple files with a date modified the same as the analysis date.

As noted before the error message states that the song was not synched because it "cannot be played on (this device)". If I then get info on the song and switch to the tab file, then close the get info window and resynch my playlist the song will then synch normally.

My workaround is to create a smart playlist of all the songs in the folder I synch from where "kind" contains "AAC" or "Apple" then get info on the first, switch to the file tab, then "arrow" thru the list. I do this just before synching my device and get no errors.

9. 9 Posted by rwik on 19 Sep, 2017 09:00 PM

Update/Correction - apparently opening and closing the get info on these files changes the modification date, rather than the analysis. Also, I apparently don't have to switch to the file tab. It is sufficient to get info on the file (which updates the modification date) and then close the get info to clear the error and allow the song to synch. So I'm still mystified.

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by hendrik on 21 Sep, 2017 08:42 AM

Also, I apparently don't have to switch to the file tab. It is sufficient to get info on the file (which updates the modification date) and then close the get info to clear the error and allow the song to synch. So I'm still mystified.

Hm. You got me mystified as well. I will have to look into this. Unfortunately, my dev system is currently in the shop due to a harddrive failure (actually an SSD failure). This will take a while.

Sorry.

11. 11 Posted by rwik on 03 Oct, 2017 12:49 AM

I think I have pinned down what is going on, though I don't know quite why.

To recap: When I create a new playlist in BeaTunes, my last step is to Analyze the list for BPM (Replace Existing; Range Automatic) and Volume Normalization (Track Replay Gain, Sample Peak, Algorithm - Replay Gain2). I have used a variety of apps to determine BPM in the past (including your own BeatGuage) but want to make sure they are “up to date”.

When I attempt to sync the playlist from iTunes to my IOS device I get the occasional error saying that a song has not been synced because it “cannot be played” on the device. If I go to iTunes and get info on the file, it will then sync normally. This generally happens with songs that are Apple Lossless or AAC files (whether purchased or not), although occasionally I have encountered this with an MP3.

I have checked the AAC (purchased or not) each time I go through this process. I have discovered that some songs which I thought would be rejected were not. What they have in common is that the analysis actually changed their BPM (and updated the modification date). The rejected songs had no changes.

I notice that there is a setting in general preferences to force overwriting of fields, even if they seem unchanged. Perhaps turning this on will resolve things, but I wanted your opinion about the whole matter.

12. Support Staff 12 Posted by hendrik on 04 Oct, 2017 07:28 AM

I have checked the AAC (purchased or not) each time I go through this process. I have discovered that some songs which I thought would be rejected were not. What they have in common is that the analysis actually changed their BPM (and updated the modification date). The rejected songs had no changes.

I notice that there is a setting in general preferences to force overwriting of fields, even if they seem unchanged. Perhaps turning this on will resolve things, but I wanted your opinion about the whole matter.

Usually, beaTunes only updates values in its database or the files themselves, if they newly calculated values for BPM (or whatever other property) actually differs from what's in the internal beaTunes database. This is to increase efficiency (don't write unless you really have to). When checking that box to force overwrite properties, the check is omitted, so beaTunes writes data to the file no matter what's in the internal database. This is useful, if someone changed properties in their files with a 3rd party program that beaTunes is unaware of (so that the internal database is out of sync).

Feel free to turn the force option on. It does not harm. Analysis may take a little longer, as every file is manipulated, regardless of whether it's strictly necessary or not.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac