Failed to decode track errors...

studio2takes

13 Apr, 2017 04:04 PM

1. If you experienced a crash or other abnormal behavior, please attach the log file 'beaTunes-logs-2017-04-13-175323.zip' by dragging it from your desktop onto the 'Attach File' button below.

2. I see a lot of errors when adding .m4a files (actually Apple Lossless files: alac) and start analysis. Is there a problem with the file format? And also: I use itunes library but don't see the tracks in the database after adding them to beatunes. I see them in iTunes alright though... Is there a communication problem maybe? I use the latest versions of all software! iTunes 12.6 and beaTunes 4.6.13!

* beaTunes: 4.6.13
* JVM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
* Version: 25.121-b13
* Vendor: Oracle Corporation
* Library: iTunes
* Memory: 92m - 1536m
* Registered as: MP DE LAAT

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 13 Apr, 2017 08:35 PM

Hey there,

And also: I use itunes library but don't see the tracks in the database after adding them to beatunes. I see them in iTunes alright though... Is there a communication problem maybe?

Did you try File -> Synchronize...?

I see a lot of errors when adding .m4a files (actually Apple Lossless files: alac) and start analysis. Is there a problem with the file format?

What exactly is the error message? Can you perhaps send a screenshot?

Cheers,

-hendrik

2. 2 Posted by studio2takes on 14 Apr, 2017 01:21 PM

Hi Hendrik,

Did you try File -> Synchronize...?

I have "Synchronize on window activation" on in preferences. I also did the short-cut Shift-Cmd-Y. Beatunes shows: beaTunes and iTunes are already synchronized message. I have not taken a screenshot but have done a new analyze all and the errors are the same: see the attachments.

I have closed beaTunes/iTunes for a few hours and now all the tracks are visible. So the sync is nog working automatically. Here are the settings I use in iTunes: so maybe that is the culprit? I add new songs by moving them over to the Music Library in beaTunes and beaTunes says there are new tracks to be analyzed as it should. After a while the imported tracks become visible in iTunes, but not in beaTunes until after a restart of beaTunes...

I also see that some tracks have no Similarities Segments after analyzing: maybe it has got something to do with the "UnsupportedAudioFileException or because the file has not been uploaded to accousticbrainz.org?

See also attached screenshots of the Analyze settings I use in beaTunes.
    Thanks for your support!

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 15 Apr, 2017 09:42 AM

Hey there,

I have "Synchronize on window activation" on in preferences. I also did the short-cut Shift-Cmd-Y. Beatunes shows: beaTunes and iTunes are already synchronized message. I have not taken a screenshot but have done a new analyze all and the errors are the same: see the attachments.

If you have more than 10,000 songs, I recommend turning the automatic synchronization off and instead use Shift-Cmd-Y every now and then. beaTunes will be faster and you know exactly where you stand w.r.t. synchronization.

I have closed beaTunes/iTunes for a few hours and now all the tracks are visible. So the sync is nog working automatically. Here are the settings I use in iTunes: so maybe that is the culprit? I add new songs by moving them over to the Music Library in beaTunes and beaTunes says there are new tracks to be analyzed as it should. After a while the imported tracks become visible in iTunes, but not in beaTunes until after a restart of beaTunes...

What happens when you import by adding the songs to iTunes instead of beaTunes? Then give iTunes a little while to write the XML file and then switch over to beaTunes and sync using Shift-Cmd-Y? I would assume that works a little more smoothly.

I also see that some tracks have no Similarities Segments after analyzing: maybe it has got something to do with the "UnsupportedAudioFileException or because the file has not been uploaded to accousticbrainz.org?

Most likely it has to do with UnsupportedAudioFileException. It has nothing to do with accousticbrainz.org, as the similar segments are computed locally and not imported from some third party website.

Whenever you see something like UnsupportedAudioFileException it's an indicator that something with the file may not be OK. beaTunes is capable of processing Apple Lossless and AAC. So if it balks on one of those files, please try to play it somewhere to figure out whether the file itself is in good shape. If you find that the file is alright, but beaTunes cannot analyze, please send me such a file for testing purposes.

Cheers,

-hendrik

4. 4 Posted by studio2takes on 15 Apr, 2017 01:48 PM

[email blocked] sent you some files

1 file, 11.2 MB in total
    ・ Will be deleted on 22 April, 2017

Download link:
    https://wetransfer.com/downloads/663603c0a222777e0c83c7f98220d5c920170415134814/b842b0140b0a3f236d226a642a0863c920170415134814/51408b

Failed to decode track errors... [Problems #46125]

Here is a sample track that gives errors when analyzing in beaTunes. Thanks, Mike de Laat,
    The Netherlands.

1 file

09 I've got you under my skin_PN - 3B - 126.m4a

Get more out of WeTransfer, get [Plus](https://wetransfer.com/plus?utm_campaign=WT_email_tracking&utm_content=general&utm_medium=plus_footer_ad_link&utm_source=notify_recipient_email)

About WeTransfer: https://wetransfer.com/about
    Help: https://wetransfer.zendesk.com/hc/en-us
    Legal: https://wetransfer.com/legal

To make sure our emails arrive, please add [email blocked] to [your contacts](https://wetransfer.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204909429).

5. 5 Posted by studio2takes on 15 Apr, 2017 01:49 PM

f you have more than 10,000 songs, I recommend turning the automatic synchronization off and instead use Shift-Cmd-Y every now and then. beaTunes will be faster and you know exactly where you stand w.r.t. synchronization.

What happens when you import by adding the songs to iTunes instead of beaTunes? Then give iTunes a little while to write the XML file and then switch over to beaTunes and sync using Shift-Cmd-Y? I would assume that works a little more smoothly.

I have now only tested 218 songs so the amount of tracks should not be the problem. I assume that somehow beaTunes is not able to read the xml file when adding songs.But I will test with your advise in the following days... ;-)

I will email through wetransfer a track for you to test in the meanwhile. The track is more than 10 MB so that's why I use wetransfer. If you didn't get it: please let me know your emailaddress to resend it. Thanks for the support!

Happy Easter,
    Mike

6. 6 Posted by studio2takes on 18 Apr, 2017 02:10 PM

Whenever you see something like UnsupportedAudioFileException it's an indicator that something with the file may not be OK. beaTunes is capable of processing Apple Lossless and AAC. So if it balks on one of those files, please try to play it somewhere to figure out whether the file itself is in good shape. If you find that the file is alright, but beaTunes cannot analyze, please send me such a file for testing purposes.

Hi Henrik,

Did you test the wetransfer file? This is what I found out so far: ALAC/.m4a files that are less than 11,2 MB in size show no error when analyzing. All files have been processed by Platinum Notes 4 and are readable/playable by iTunes/Traktor etc. Any idea? I can send you also another track that is analyzed as normal.

P.s.: I don't analyze the BPM in beaTunes because the DJ software is perfectly capable of doing that. The similarities/segments don't show because of the error I assume: not because of the BPM not analyzed?

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by hendrik on 18 Apr, 2017 07:46 PM

Hey there,

Did you test the wetransfer file?

I just got to it. Thanks for the file.
    beaTunes uses different libraries to decode audio files. One of them is FFmpeg, another is Core Audio. It seems that FFmpeg chokes on your file, while Core Audio processes it just fine. If you don't use formats like FLAC, I recommend to simply disable FFmpeg for beaTunes. To do so,

• Right-click on the beaTunes4 app icon in Finder
    • Choose "Show Package Contents"
    • Navigate to "Contents/Java"
    • Find the file ffsampledsp-x86_64-darwin-0.9.18.dylib
    • Either remove the file or rename it to something like disabled_ffsampledsp-x86_64-darwin-0.9.18.dylib
    • Start beaTunes and try to analyze your files again

Hope this helps,

-hendrik

8. 8 Posted by studio2takes on 18 Apr, 2017 11:56 PM

Hi Hendrik,

The solution works now: "rename it to something like
    disabled_ffsampledsp-x86_64-darwin-0.9.18.dylib" . At least one track still
    has no Segmentation/Similarities coloured bar. Is that because it is an
    unknown track? Would you like to have that track uploaded to analyze also?

One other thing: I use MIK8 to analyze the key but I don't see the key
    column with the Camelot value. I see it in my DJ software though:
    Traktor/Mixvibes Cross DJ. Is this normal? I have Key analysis off,

Thanks for the support,
    Mike.

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by hendrik on 19 Apr, 2017 06:13 AM

Hey Mike,

At least one track still has no Segmentation/Similarities coloured bar. Is that because it is an unknown track?

Are there any error messages when you analyze it? Perhaps it's too long or too short.

I use MIK8 to analyze the key but I don't see the key column with the Camelot value. I see it in my DJ software though:
    Traktor/Mixvibes Cross DJ. Is this normal? I have Key analysis off,

Do you not see the Camelot value or do you see no key value at all?

Cheers,

-hendrik

10. 10 Posted by studio2takes on 19 Apr, 2017 11:52 PM

Hi Hendrik

Are there any error messages when you analyze it? Perhaps it's too long or too short.

I have found 2 tracks that have such a problem at the moment: one track gives error: "failed to find lyrics for Summertime...."
    The other track gives no errors when analyzed but still don't show segments. I will upload them so you can check them out.

Do you not see the Camelot value or do you see no key value at all?

I see no information in the key at all but have also Analyzed 2 tracks with the option Analyze Key: all other options are disabled so nothing should be overwritten. What happens is that the key is still overridden with the value beaTunes calculates (which is different from the Mixed in Key values: see screenshots from beaTunes & Cross DJ. I would really like to see the Camelot values in beaTunes.

Is there a shortcut to reread the tags of modified tracks to see if the values are read without being analyzed?

Cheers,
    Mike.

11. 11 Posted by studio2takes on 19 Apr, 2017 11:59 PM

[email blocked] sent you some files

2 files, 23.1 MB in total
    ・ Will be deleted on 26 April, 2017

Download link:
    https://wetransfer.com/downloads/10ead27f47be810e7195db6b384f673d20170419235821/046f277f2162fd7c9a32ca88069fee7d20170419235821/cc5e16

Here are the 2 tracks that don't show segments after being analyzed. Greetings, Mike

2 files

11 I Thank You_PN - 5B - 118.m4a
    20 Summertime (from Porgy and Bess)_PN - 3A - 107.m4a

Get more out of WeTransfer, get [Plus](https://wetransfer.com/plus?utm_campaign=WT_email_tracking&utm_content=general&utm_medium=plus_footer_ad_link&utm_source=notify_recipient_email)

About WeTransfer: https://wetransfer.com/about
    Help: https://wetransfer.zendesk.com/hc/en-us
    Legal: https://wetransfer.com/legal

To make sure our emails arrive, please add [email blocked] to [your contacts](https://wetransfer.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204909429).

12. Support Staff 12 Posted by hendrik on 22 Apr, 2017 09:14 AM

Hey Mike,

I have found 2 tracks that have such a problem at the moment: one track gives error: "failed to find lyrics for Summertime...." The other track gives no errors when analyzed but still don't show segments. I will upload them so you can check them out.

At least for the Porgy & Bess track I can say that, because the tempo isn't stable enough, beaTunes wasn't able to find segments. This can happen with live music. The other track analyzes just fine for me.

I see no information in the key at all but have also Analyzed 2 tracks with the option Analyze Key: all other options are disabled so nothing should be overwritten.

Checking not other options means, that beaTunes should calculate and write values, if it believes no values are set yet. I guess that was the case. If beaTunes does not show a key value in the key column, it thinks the key has not been set yet.

What happens is that the key is still overridden with the value beaTunes calculates (which is different from the Mixed in Key values: see screenshots from beaTunes & Cross DJ. I would really like to see the Camelot values in beaTunes.

beaTunes does not use the Camelot notation, as it's proprietary and the company who "owns" the notation (if you can do that at all), requires others to license it. Instead, beaTunes uses Open Key Notation and a number of other formats you can choose in the general preferences. If you require another notation than the ones offered by default, take a look at https://www.beatunes.com/en/beatlet-keytextrenderer.html#groovykeyt... You can create custom renderers that show you the key in whatever format you like. Incidentally, the shown example is something you might be interested in. But note, that the format written to the file is not necessarily what is shown. This is done, so that other software can still parse the values written to your files.

Is there a shortcut to reread the tags of modified tracks to see if the values are read without being analyzed?

Unfortunately, not. The iTunes-based library is optimized to work with iTunes and not other third party programs.
    A folder-based library would re-read tags, if the last modified file timestamp changes.

Cheers,

-hendrik

13. 13 Posted by studio2takes on 24 Apr, 2017 01:54 PM

Hi Hendrik,

The other track analyzes just fine for me.

The track "I thank you" from Sam & Dave does not get analysed with Find similarities and segments enabled on my system. So something is wrong. I have disabled the ffsampledsp-x86_64-darwin-0.9.18.dylib as you suggested: so I have no more "UnsupportedAudioFileException".

beaTunes does not use the Camelot notation, as it's proprietary and the company who "owns" the notation (if you can do that at all), requires others to license it. Instead, beaTunes uses Open Key Notation and a number of other formats you can choose in the general preferences. If you require another notation than the ones offered by default, take a look at https://www.beatunes.com/en/beatlet-keytextrenderer.html#groovykeyt... You can create custom renderers that show you the key in whatever format you like. Incidentally, the shown example is something you might be interested in. But note, that the format written to the file is not necessarily what is shown. This is done, so that other software can still parse the values written to your files.

Ok but my question was: can beaTunes read the "Key" tag that has been created by Mixed in Key 8 and is shown in Traktor / Serato / Cross DJ just fine? I want beaTunes to use that value and not compute his own value. Is that possible?

Unfortunately, not. The iTunes-based library is optimized to work with iTunes and not other third party programs. A folder-based library would re-read tags, if the last modified file timestamp changes.

Ok I have found an applescript that works in iTunes that rereads the tags: see attachment. I use Cmd-s in iTunes after selecting the tracks I want to have reread. Works like a charm.

Cheers,
    Mike

14. Support Staff 14 Posted by hendrik on 25 Apr, 2017 08:09 AM

Hey there,

The track "I thank you" from Sam & Dave does not get analysed with Find similarities and segments enabled on my system. So something is wrong. I have disabled the ffsampledsp-x86_64-darwin-0.9.18.dylib as you suggested: so I have no more "UnsupportedAudioFileException".

As I said, I cannot reproduce the issue. It analyzed just fine on my system (see screenshot). Have you tried restarting beaTunes? What if you analyze it again, but disable all other tasks during analysis?

Ok but my question was: can beaTunes read the "Key" tag that has been created by Mixed in Key 8 and is shown in Traktor / Serato / Cross DJ just fine? I want beaTunes to use that value and not compute his own value. Is that possible?

I think we have misunderstood each other. Let's start over.

beaTunes does not display keys in Camelot format, but you can define your own renderers to display keys any way you like.

beaTunes does read key values from your files, when creating an iTunes-based library—meaning, at that one point in time. Since iTunes does not support keys at all, beaTunes does not continuously re-import the key field.

When used in folder-based mode, beaTunes does re-import fields like key all the time, if the last modified timestamp has been changed (some programs don't do that).

It looks like you are using an iTunes-based library. This means that beaTunes imported all values from your files, when you created that iTunes-based library. After this initial step, beaTunes only imports changes from iTunes, but not the files. Since iTunes does not support key fields, any changes third party programs make to your files go unnoticed by iTunes and therefore beaTunes.

If you used a folder-based library in beaTunes, you would see all changes by third party programs (provided they change the last modified timestamp), but changes in beaTunes wouldn't be reflected immediately in iTunes.

Using a plugin to make iTunes re-read files won't do any good, as the key field is not supported by iTunes. So it will never re-read the key.

Anyhow. So that's the problem. Here's the solution.

beaTunes has a plugin API as well.

Please save the attached file RefreshFromFileAction.groovy.zip into your plugin folder. Then unpack it (simply double-click it), so that you have a file called RefreshFromFileAction.groovy in the Plug-Ins folder. If that's the case, you can delete the zip file. Then start beaTunes.

You should now have a new menu item in the File menu, which is called Refresh from File. To use it, select a file and choose the menu item (there's also a shortcut). Note, that this item overwrites existing values with values from your file. I.e. if you have a key in the beaTunes database, but it is not in the file, the key will be deleted from the internal database.

Hope this helps,

-hendrik

PS: The same beaTlet file can also be found at GitHub: https://github.com/beatunes/beaTlet-samples/blob/master/groovy/Refr...

15. Support Staff 15 Posted by hendrik on 26 Apr, 2017 10:53 AM

Hey there,

Just out of curiosity: Does that plugin work for you?

Cheers,

-hendrik

16. 16 Posted by studio2takes on 26 Apr, 2017 02:55 PM

Hi Hendrik,

I have a busy week so will be testing your plug in after the weekend.
    Thanks and I will get back to you next week.

Op 26 apr. 2017 om 12:54 heeft hendrik <[email blocked]>
    het volgende geschreven:

17. Support Staff 17 Posted by hendrik on 26 Apr, 2017 03:18 PM

I have a busy week so will be testing your plug in after the weekend. Thanks and I will get back to you next week.

Cool. Thanks!

18. Support Staff 18 Posted by hendrik on 03 May, 2017 10:18 AM

Hey Mike,

just wanted to check-in—did you have a chance to test that thing?
    No worries, if you didn't—I'm just curious to find out whether it solves the your issue.

Thanks,

-hendrik

19. 19 Posted by studio2takes on 03 May, 2017 01:33 PM

Hi Hendrik,

No sorry not yet: probably next weekend!

Kind regards,
    Mike de Laat

Op 3 mei 2017 om 11:18 heeft hendrik <[email blocked]> het
    volgende geschreven:

20. 20 Posted by studio2takes on 08 May, 2017 10:31 PM

Ok here are some conclusions so far:

1. The key-field is reread when I use the beatlet. I have to test it with new songs though.
    2. When I change the Title using MusicBrainz the change is not read by beaTunes.
    3. The BPM values that are shown in your screenshot differ and I cannot reproduce them: see attachment.
    4. The similarites of "I thank you" are not shown as in your screenshot.

Thanks for the support,
    Mike

21. Support Staff 21 Posted by hendrik on 09 May, 2017 06:56 AM

Hey Mike,

The key-field is reread when I use the beatlet. I have to test it with new songs though.

Good. That's the only thing the beaTlet was supposed to do, as that's what you asked for.

When I change the Title using MusicBrainz the change is not read by beaTunes.

Title is a field supported by iTunes. Make sure the updated value shows in iTunes (e.g. by playing the song or using that sync script you mentioned), wait a sec, then sync beaTunes and beaTunes should show the new title as well.

The BPM values that are shown in your screenshot differ and I cannot reproduce them: see attachment.

I cannot recall whether I ran any BPM analysis. I don't think I did. Currently the best way to analyze BPM (if that's what you're after) is to select the songs in question, choose Analyze from the context menu and then, in the Analysis Options dialog, choose the OnsetPeak algorithm and turn off Use online resources.

The similarites of "I thank you" are not shown as in your screenshot.

I don't have any explanation for that. If this is important for you, please analyze the song with just the similarities task enabled (all other tasks turned off) and right after analysis, please open the Help menu and select Upload logs. This may give me a clue as to why the computation does not happen.

Thank you,

-hendrik

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac