Beatunes randomly adds rating to tracks in Itunes + Doesn't remember inspection results after relaunch

boazsachs

17 Aug, 2014 12:14 PM

Hi There,

After using an older version of Beatunes on my dated machine a few years back and giving the latest version a spin on a friends computer I recently purchased Beatunes 4 for myself.

While I generally applaud the app as a invaluable way to reorganise my library (I have already found hundreds of dupes despite regularly scanning my library for it).

There are however a few issues I am experiencing that are affecting my general user experience:

1) Beatunes seems to be randomly assigning ratings to tracks in my Itunes library. I first noted this when scanning through my library as a number of tracks had been assigned 0.5, 1.5, 2.5, 3.5, 4.5 ratings which I have never used. A closer inspection shows that some of my favourite tracks have been given a lowly 2 stars whereas some obscure stuff I rarely listen to has been awarded 5 stars.

Since several of my playlists depend on star rating (or lack thereof) this meddling with ratings is seriously having a negative effect on my user experience.

2) In past editions of Beatunes once I ran an inspection these results where saved within the app so that If I chose to switch my laptop off overnight I would be able to return to tackle the same issues the next day. In my current version every time the app is switched off and on again all previous inspection results are lost forcing me to run an entirely new (time consuming) inspection on my library of 50k tracks.

Thanks for your help, if you need anything else from me do let me know,

Boaz

1. 1 Posted by boazsachs on 17 Aug, 2014 04:44 PM

Additional info you may require:
    Itunes version: 11.3.1 (2)
    Beatunes version: 4.0.3
    OSX Version 10.9.4

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by hendrik on 18 Aug, 2014 02:54 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your message.

1) When you analyze, what setting do you use? Can you please post a screenshot of the dialog that comes up when clicking on Analyze? Any chance you have asked beaTunes to import ratings?

2) beaTunes has never stored inspections results (i.e. potential issues) persistently. Once you shut beaTunes down, it forgets those results. This behavior will not be changed in the foreseeable future. Analysis on the other hand is continued, even if the computer is shut down in between.

Hope this helps,

-hendrik

3. 3 Posted by jessem on 06 Apr, 2017 03:57 PM

I realize there may be some sync issues but why wouldn't we want to save the "analysis results" so we can work through them gradually?

The analysis takes 3 to 4 hours on my library because it's on a NAS and it's kind of large and when it comes up with 5500 issues there's no way I'm going to work through those in one setting. And I don't want to wear my NAS out running analysis each time.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by hendrik on 08 Apr, 2017 09:09 AM

I suspect there is some confusion about the difference between Analysis and Inspection here.

Analysis is the process that looks at your audio data and attempts to derive values like key and tempo.

Inspection is the process that looks at your metadata (not the audio) and makes you aware of discrepancies. This metadata is stored in the internal beaTunes database, not the audio files.

So when you say

analysis takes 3 to 4 hours

do you mean Analysis or Inspection?

If you mean Analysis—why would you run that more than once? The results are all stored in the the database....

5. 5 Posted by jessem on 08 Apr, 2017 02:24 PM

Sorry. Vernacular. I interchanged the words because I'm new to beaTunes.

Inspection takes 3 to 4 hours. And it found enough meta data clean up that it can't be cleaned up in one sitting. The first time I worked for a few hours and then shut down, I discovered that it wiped out the inspection data I was pretty disappointed. So the next time I ran it I let the machine sleep when I wasn't using it. I chipped away at the changes but eventually ran into RAM problems and had to reboot. So now I had to rescan again.

It would really be handy to have those results saved like DupeGuru.does so we can gradually work through the meta data clean up.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by hendrik on 08 Apr, 2017 02:28 PM

How large is your collection?

If it's super large, I recommend disabling most of them and instead run them one by one. That way, inspection does not take so long and you don't loose any information (that you haven't computed yet).

7. 7 Posted by jessem on 10 Apr, 2017 07:16 PM

Thanks.

I will try that approach -- although I consider it to be a work around for actually being able to save the analysis and come back to it for later work/review.

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by hendrik on 11 Apr, 2017 05:59 AM

I will try that approach -- although I consider it to be a work around for actually being able to save the analysis and come back to it for later work/review.

Sure. But as you might have noticed, some inspections need much more time than others. If you're using an iTunes-based library, there "artwork not embedded" one, is definitely one, that takes a long time. Disabling just this one, will cut down on inspection times a lot.

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by hendrik on 11 Apr, 2017 06:01 AM

Also: Inspection results become stale, as you can easily modify files with third party software. So saving inspection results does also have downsides...

10. hendrik closed this discussion on 30 May, 2017 07:23 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac