.tmp and .old files

nimfakie

08 Jul, 2011 04:17 PM

Hi, since the upgrade to 3, every time I run beaTunes itunes has songs it cannot locate. When I go to the music directory, these songs have .old or .tmp extensions. It looks like temp files that were created, but the original not replaced?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 08 Jul, 2011 04:21 PM

Hi,

do you use an iTunes library based beaTunes library or a directory based beaTunes directory?
    Also, do you have "embed non-iTunes fields" enabled in the beaTunes general prefs?

Thanks,

-hendrik

2. 2 Posted by nimfakie on 08 Jul, 2011 04:38 PM

iTunes based
    I'm not sure about the second one. I've had it enabled, except for the last run, so I don't know if the songs I picked up were analyzed with it on. My best guess is no, these were the most recent songs.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 09 Jul, 2011 09:25 AM

Hi,

if you have embedding turned off - I don't have an explanation for these files and they are probably created by some other software.

If you have embedding turned on, they might have been produced by the (typically quite awesome) jaudiotagger library beaTunes uses internally.

Do the temp files only differ in their extension from your music files?

Thanks,

-hendrik

4. 4 Posted by nimfakie on 09 Jul, 2011 02:33 PM

I'll experiment a bit. The temp files end up with longer names--characters added at the end, but if I change the name and the extension to m4a or mp3, everything seems back to normal.

5. 5 Posted by nimfakie on 12 Aug, 2011 07:59 AM

Definitely beaTunes. I created a playlist specifically to test this. I make sure iTunes can find all songs, run beaTunes, synchronize. iTunes cannot find a few of the songs just analysed. When I check, these songs have .old and .tmp extensions.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by hendrik on 12 Aug, 2011 08:46 AM

Hi,

Which beaTunes analysis tasks were you running? Does this also happen when you *don't* run the AmpliFIND task?

Thanks,

-hendrik

Am 12.08.2011 um 09:58 schrieb "nimfakie" <[email blocked]>:

>

7. 7 Posted by nimfakie on 12 Aug, 2011 08:43 PM

When I untick AmpliFIND and all online resources, the problem disappears.
    Another thing: is it possible that song ratings are imported from online sources? A number of my songs have ratings that differ from what I gave them, and there are 1/2 ratings, like 3 1/2, which I don't have in iTunes.
    Martie

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by hendrik on 13 Aug, 2011 08:24 AM

Hi Martie,

can you please try out http://www.beatunes.com/download/beaTunes-3-0-4-SNAPSHOT-jre-win.exe ? I think I have fixed the issue, but am looking for outside confirmation.

Regarding the ratings: No, they are not imported from outside sources, only from your own files. If you want to see half stars in iTunes as well, check out http://www.technipages.com/itunes-for-windows-enable-half-star-rati... (I have not tested this on Windows)

Thank you!

-hendrik

9. 9 Posted by nimfakie on 13 Aug, 2011 03:06 PM

Fixed :-) Thanks!
    Martie

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by hendrik on 14 Aug, 2011 09:08 AM

Great - thanks for testing. This will be in the official 3.0.4 release then.

Have a splendid Sunday,

-hendrik

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac