Beatunes 3.0 Time to Start

Jim Forrester

28 Apr, 2011 03:35 AM

Just wanted to let you know that 3.0 takes about 7 min to start on my iMac. A lot longer than the previous version.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 28 Apr, 2011 07:12 AM

Hi Jim,

what kind of iMac do you have (processor, RAM)?
    Also, how did you time? From clicking on the icon until - when?
    That said, what kind of library were you using? iTunes or directory based?

Thanks,

-hendrik

2. 2 Posted by Jim Forrester on 28 Apr, 2011 01:26 PM

Hendrik,

Here’s the info:
    I time from when I click the icon button until the program is up (but it’s probably still synchronizing).
    I use an iTunes “organized” library. The music library about 140Gb. There’s also movies (33Gb) and podcasts (6Gb) and audiobooks (27Gb).

Also, it takes forever to inspect the database. I’ll time it and get you that number, but it’s on the order of 1/2 hour (I’m guessing). With 2.0 it would take probably <5 min.

Regards,

Jim Forrester
    [email blocked]
    303-862-6262 H
    720-985-7024 C

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 28 Apr, 2011 01:32 PM

Hi Jim,

thanks for the info.

The size of the library in bytes hardly ever matters to beaTunes - only the number of items in it is relevant. How many do you have?

That said, inspection is probably faster when you turn that "Artwork not embedded" thing off - that in particular takes forever unfortunately.

Any chance you can send me your logs? There are timestamps in there, which let me see where exactly beaTunes is spending its time while starting up. http://help.beatunes.com/kb/troubleshooting/where-are-the-beatunes-... will tell you where to find the logs and how to send them. Please start, just wait for it to be started and then stop beaTunes before sending the logs. That will illustrate the situation nicely.

Thanks,

-hendrik

4. 4 Posted by Jim Forrester on 29 Apr, 2011 04:17 AM

Hendrik,

Here is my latest log.

I made the preference changes you suggested (and others) for the inspection and now it runs very fast (<20 sec).

Also, when I was trying to commit changes to release year, it would apply an ignore issue. You’ll probably see it in the log.

Regards,

Jim Forrester
    [email blocked]
    303-862-6262 H
    720-985-7024 C

5. 5 Posted by Jim Forrester on 29 Apr, 2011 04:32 AM

Hendrik,

Also, I was not able to analyze new songs. It put them in the que, but never applied any BPM to the songs.

Regards,

Jim Forrester
    [email blocked]
    303-862-6262 H
    720-985-7024 C

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by hendrik on 29 Apr, 2011 07:22 AM

Hi Jim,

the BPM issue will be solved in EA3. I guess I will have to either make that Artwork thing faster or disable it by default. 1/2 hour for inspection is certainly not acceptable. How many songs do you have in your collection?

Unfortunately, I couldn't see anything in the log file, because you just sent the latest one as opposed to zipping the whole logs folder and you ran an inspection and analysis instead of starting beaTunes, stopping beaTunes and then collecting the logs. The inspection and analysis filled up the whole file (it's a rolling log) - it didn't contain any startup info anymore.

Could you please startup beaTunes, shut it down and then send me a zip archive of the whole logs folder?

Thank you!

-hendrik

7. 7 Posted by Jim Forrester on 29 Apr, 2011 01:11 PM

Hendrik,

Attached are the zipped files. I started BeaTunes, declined analysis and inspection and then shut it down. I have 31275 songs in my “Music” library in iTunes.

Regards,

Jim Forrester
    [email blocked]
    303-862-6262 H
    720-985-7024 C

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by hendrik on 30 Apr, 2011 07:12 PM

Hey Jim,

thank you for the logs.. unfortunately they still don't contain the info I'm looking for, because a part of beaTunes is simply logging too much. This will be different in EA3.

In any case, does beaTunes start up faster, if iTunes is already running?

Thanks!

-hendrik

9. 9 Posted by Jim Forrester on 02 May, 2011 04:26 AM

Hendrik,

No, it takes 7-7.5 min no matter if iTunes is up already or not.

Regards,

Jim Forrester
    [email blocked]
    303-862-6262 H
    720-985-7024 C

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by hendrik on 02 May, 2011 07:34 AM

Hi Jim,

that's too bad.

I removed some stuff from the logs - they should now be clearer and contains the information I'm looking for. If you happen to have some spare 15min - would you mind trying out http://www.beatunes.com/download/beaTunes-3-0-0-EA3-SNAPSHOT-osx.dmg and send me fresh logs?

Thanks a lot!

-hendrik

11. 11 Posted by Jim Forrester on 03 May, 2011 07:14 PM

Hendrik,

I gave the new version a try today. I already had iTunes up running and it only took 25 sec to start up beaTunes.

Initially, when first starting up the new version, it took about 6 min, but after that starting it up was fairly quick per above.

Regards,

Jim Forrester
    [email blocked]
    303-862-6262 H
    720-985-7024 C

12. Support Staff 12 Posted by hendrik on 03 May, 2011 08:34 PM

Hi Jim,

thanks for trying this - 25s sounds a lot better! Perhaps it was the excessive logging that slowed down the start so much - who knows. I also made some little things a bit more efficient..

The regular new EA will be out by Thursday.

-hendrik

13. 13 Posted by Jim Forrester on 03 May, 2011 08:53 PM

Hendrik,

No worries. It’s great software and I’m glad to help with it’s debugging. It’s a must if someone has a large iTunes library and wants to keep it organized.

Speaking of that, any more thought on Missing Album Artist? I’d really liked that feature to work all the time. Whether the artist is the same or different for different tracks in an album. Someone can disable it in preferences if they don’t want to do it...?

Regards,

Jim Forrester
    [email blocked]
    303-862-6262 H
    720-985-7024 C

14. 14 Posted by Jim Forrester on 03 May, 2011 09:13 PM

Hendrik,

Also, the BPM analysis is now working fine.

Regards,

Jim Forrester
    [email blocked]
    303-862-6262 H
    720-985-7024 C

15. Support Staff 15 Posted by hendrik on 04 May, 2011 06:32 AM

Hi Jim,

thanks for the positive feedback!

Regarding the Album Artist thing - the issue here is, that I definitely don't want to make everything configurable. beaTunes is complicated enough to use for some users - giving more options will make things more difficult. Something I definitely want to avoid. Also, right now there is no mechanism for preferences for individual inspections. It would be a bit of work, to create such a thing. And doing it for a single inspection is definitely not worth it. I hope you understand the tradeoff.

Thanks,

-hendrik

16. 16 Posted by Jim Forrester on 09 Sep, 2011 03:36 AM

Hendrik,

I’ve might have come across a bug.

No matter how many times I try, the “same album, different release year” solution won’t commit. I have many “same album, different release year” issues that I chose to ignore and 1 that I chose the recommended change. None of the will commit. I thought it might be a write access issue, but I triple checked to ensure I had write authority on that drive, so I was able to rule that out.

I had several other issues, that committed as expected. Only this one type of issue won’t commit.

Not sure if others are seeing this?

Jim Forrester
    [email blocked]
    303-862-6262 H
    720-985-7024 C

17. hendrik closed this discussion on 09 Sep, 2011 09:17 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac