poor usability for files cleanup

Andy G

26 Apr, 2011 09:33 PM

Using the Inspect Library function to review duplicates.
The duplicates detected were only duplicates in the iTunes library NOT duplicates in the file structure.
The cleanup has no detection for this and subsequently all the "duplicates" ie files, have been moved to the trash. Now I have to go through several hundred individual files in the trash and replace them in their original file locations!! This has effectively multiplied the time required for the cleanup operation by 10 times or more!!
Quite frankly I'm extremely annoyed by this. How could your development team have failed to spot this as a usability issue and build in logic to deal with it !?!?!?

• beaTunes: 2.1.19
  • JVM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
  • Version: 19.1-b02-334
  • Vendor: Apple Inc.
  • Registered as: xxxxxx
  1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 27 Apr, 2011 07:55 AM

Hi Andy,

I understand your frustration - that kind of stuff sucks.

However, you are talking to the entire dev team and I can tell you why it had never entered my mind to check for the problem you encountered:

Normally, you simply can't add the same file to iTunes twice. You might want to try it yourself - just drag a (file that has already been added) to the iTunes library. Nothing will happen.

Do you know, how you managed to have multiple entries in iTunes for the same file? I'd love to reproduce the problem.

Thanks,

-hendrik

2. 2 Posted by Andy Goodwin on 27 Apr, 2011 10:54 AM

Hi Hendrik,

I can only assume some kind of corruption in the library xml file, though it appears to have been totally random. Not all the track references have been duplicated, only some artists and not complete albums. None of the duplications are tracks that are synced to my iPhone.

I have a special setup - I use my iMac as the main storage location for my music. This is synced to a Macbook which I use for DJ'ing.
    The sync application is called FileSync (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23023/filesync). All it does is copy changes from the iMac to the Macbook and therefore should not affect the iMacs library in any way.

The situation now is that since I have a synced copy of my library I have a duplicate issue on the Macbook. So if you wanted to examine the problem you can.

/Andy

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 28 Apr, 2011 07:19 AM

Hi Andy,

the library XML file is a file that iTunes does not read - it only writes it for other apps to read. beaTunes is one of them. So if there is wrong info in the XML file, it must also be wrong in the actual iTunes database.

Can you please email me the iTunes Music Library.xml file from your MacBook along with the name of one of the songs that is a duplicate entry, but not a duplicate file? I'm just curious to see what the entrie in the XML file looks like.

Regarding the issue itself, I'll put some logic in beaTunes 3 to work around the issue.

Thanks,

-hendrik

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac